Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting problem with thread ! >

Hand quilting problem with thread !

Hand quilting problem with thread !

Old 11-25-2012, 05:08 AM

I've used Gutterman thread and it's OK - i do like the color selection. My go-to thread is YLI glazed cotton, rarely tangles (& when it does, it's because my piece cut is too long - operator error ) It's really affordable when compared to Gutterman - A spool w/ 400 yds is less than $5. A spool w/ 1100 yds is less than $9. Compare price w/ similar yardage and you'll see.

Sadly, no where locally sells YLI, so I order it online from Rose Rushbrooke. When I order it from Rose, it usually goes out the day or next from when I place the order - It comes from Florida to Ohio in 3 or 4 days. Shipping is pretty reasonable, too.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:21 AM

The brand of thread I bought was Clark's . It says Hand Quilting and Piecing on the spool. I tried the bees wax and that made it worse. Thank You All for your help. I love to make quilts and I am still learning.

Last edited by Chris Anders; 11-25-2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:55 AM

Chris, it sounds like you might be having a problem with your needle. Can you try a different brand or size needle? Maybe you have a burr in the needle eye.

Janet
Old 11-25-2012, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Anders View Post
The brand of thread I bought was Clark's . It says Hand Quilting and Piecing on the spool. I tried the bees wax and that made it worse. Thank You All for your help. I love to make quilts and I am still learning.
I would suggest, if you can, get a spool of 'hand quilting' only thread. Particularly Clarks. Try that with your needle. That will help rule out if your needle is helping to cause the issue. I suspect, though, that since the spool is saying for hand quilting and piecing, it is not specifically for 'hand quilting' as many others are.