Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hand quilting scrap quilt >

hand quilting scrap quilt

hand quilting scrap quilt

Old 08-29-2012, 04:24 AM

Default hand quilting scrap quilt

I have made a scrappy queen sized quilt with blocks 6" square...The blocks are of 5 different patterns. Because of lack of funds, I am going to hand quilt it. Besides stitch in the ditch, what are some other designs/patterns what would be somewhat easy to do? Crosshatch? Fan? Ideas would be appreciated.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:32 AM

I would love to see a picture. How about outline the major block parts 1/4" from seam? I don't do much SID, I like my quilting to show.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:57 AM

You can put just about anything on there, but I agree with pt quilts - if I was hand quilting I'd want it to show some (even if my hand quilting leaves a lot to be desired...). SITD will hide your handwork.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:28 AM

I usually outline stitch, and use stencils for a design in the larger areas. I hand quilt all mine
Old 08-29-2012, 06:13 AM

I have thought about quilting my Farmers Wife top by hand and I have the same question in my mind-just how do I choose to quilt it? There are lots of small size stencils and they are inexpensive. I don't want to just SITD-too much work and not showy enough!
Old 08-29-2012, 06:24 AM

Love this site for stencils..bought a ton from them:
http://quiltingstencils.com/viewallblocks.aspx
Old 08-29-2012, 06:50 AM

I plan on doing some hand quilting in the near future and will be creating my own "stencil" by using the Glad press & seal . I will be placing the plastic wrap on a design I wish to copy.. then using a black marker trace the design....lift the plastic wrap and place on the block and then stitch thru everything...when finished remove the plastic wrap...I understand the plastic has a very light sticky back that doesn't leave a residue on the fabric. I hope it works...
Old 08-29-2012, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by schoolteacher View Post
I have made a scrappy queen sized quilt with blocks 6" square...The blocks are of 5 different patterns. Because of lack of funds, I am going to hand quilt it. Besides stitch in the ditch, what are some other designs/patterns what would be somewhat easy to do? Crosshatch? Fan? Ideas would be appreciated.
How about something like Baptist fans? An all over design like Baptist fans can really help pull a scrappy quilt together.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:04 AM

Starting in the CENTER of the quilt stitch diagonally through the squares forming a diamond. Then continue on out echoing this for the whole quilt and it will look kind of like a Trip around the World when you're finished
Old 08-29-2012, 07:22 AM

I hand quilt all my quilts. I have gotten addicted to Baptist Fan and it is easy! I don't use a template. Just start an arc in the bottom corner and expand and expand -a finger's width apart . I use 7 rounds and then start another one going at an angle - go seven and then in between the first two. It is easy and fun.
I am sure there are tutorials online, if my directons were clear as mud.
I also really love diagonal cross-hatching, especially for appliqued quilts leaving the applique "puffy" and unquilted.
Around the border, use leaves or hearts or triangles- again just meandering lines with a cardboard template.
Good luck.