Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilting - Stitches >

Hand Quilting - Stitches

Hand Quilting - Stitches

Old 04-21-2010, 09:16 PM

I love hand quilting but when I haven't done it for a while, it is painful going to get my index and middle finger on my right hand calloused over again but my dh found a product called "New Skin" in the bandage/bandaid area of the drug store that really helps my poor fingers until I do get them re-calloused.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:08 AM

I absolutely agree with you all, even stiches are much more important than small ones. Normally I can do 12 to 14 stiches per inch, but it's counted on wholecloth surface without any seems.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:38 AM

Andrea, your work is beautiful!

Janet
Old 04-22-2010, 04:07 AM

It depends on how 'warmed up' my hands are,& how straight my needle is.... I know,.. I know I should replace that needle, but since it's got that nice bow in it it fits my finger so nice! LOL.
I do maybe 8 or nine, if they get a little bigger I don't worry about it, it's hand work, it's not supposed to look like a machine did it. Relax and do what feels good to you.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:15 AM

I am keeping up with all this advice! Lets keep this thread going! You are so inspiring me!
Old 04-22-2010, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
I absolutely agree with you all, even stiches are much more important than small ones. Normally I can do 12 to 14 stiches per inch, but it's counted on wholecloth surface without any seems.
Yes Andrea, your work is gorgeous! What size needle do you use? 12 to 14 stitches! Amazing!
Old 04-22-2010, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by shaverg
Originally Posted by newestnana
To everyone: How do you count the stitches? Is a down and up counted as one stitch?

I suspect that's not the case...i.e., each time your needle pierces the top fabric (either on the way down or on the way back up) it counts as one stitch. So with 8 stitches per inch you'd "see" four dashes on the top (with about 1/8 inch between each)?

Having said that...I'm sure I'm not good enough to get 8 stitches per inch...but I keep trying to get smaller and more even.
I always just counted on the top. I get at least 8-10 on the top. If I did both in would be 16-20. Surely it is top stitches only?
From what I understand, it is top stitches only.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
Yes Andrea, your work is gorgeous! What size needle do you use? 12 to 14 stitches! Amazing!
Thank you! I mostly use a size 11 (John James Needles) or 12 (Clover). Works best for me! And I do single stiches, always guiding the needle on the top of the quilt.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:19 AM

How do you mark the designs on the top?

I use colored pencils, washable graphite and chalk, but I always hope there's something better. :)

Janet
Old 04-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by janRN
When your underneath finger bleeds and then gets calloused you know you're through the 3 quilt layers. I can't use a thimble on that finger because I have to "feel" it go through (does that make sense?). I get about 8-10 stitches per inch but where I have a problem is at seam lines. I can't get the stitches on the bottom to come out even. Anybody have any hints on how to quilt evenly through seams? (A secret: the last time I entered my quilt in a a show, I cheated and sewed the stitches on the back at the seams.)
Thanks Vanessa for starting this topic-always can use advice for better hand quilting.
I agree when the underneath finger bleeds. Still laughing at your cheat for the quilt show. Hope you fooled the judges.