Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting >

Hand quilting

Hand quilting

Old 10-01-2011, 02:25 AM

It takes patience and practice. I didn't like it for a long time (but I was 9 when I started quilting) but once I got the hang of it I love it. I don't use a hoop. It is easier for me to get stitches small and uniform if I can actually grasp the quilt with my "under" hand. You will eventually find what works for you then it will become a joy rather than a chore.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by true4uca
I made a quilt sandwich and tried hand quilting. How hard can it be, right. First I drew some lines & circles, Tried burying the knot, that's over rated, so skip that. LOL. First tried stab stiching the lines. I'd never pass a sobrity test. Next the circles, this time I tried 3 stiches on needle, looked pretty good. Then I turned it over, only one stich was on the back. My miserable attempt at fmq now seems so much better. GRIN.
OK. Foget trying to draw lines and circles. Get some 1/8" or 1/16" inch gingham check to practice on. Make big stitches to begin with - 3 squares long and hen as you get comfortable move to 2 squares and then 1. Bury that knot. It is not overrated. Small knot in thread. Put needle in about 1/2" away from where you want to start quilting. pop the knot into the backing.....And did I say practice with dark thread so you can see your stitches.
Don't try to quilt like mother or grandmother. Do one stitch at the time. Make sure the stitch penetrates into the back. Don't worry the length of the stithes. Make them consistent and penetrating consistently into the back. Don't try or worry about the stitches being the same size on the back as the front just so they come thru.
Practice until you get a rhythm. And then always do a few practice stitches on a small piece before you start quilting the real quilt. You need to get into the groove of motion and rhythm first.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:30 AM

I do admire hand quilting. I just can't do hand quilting...too much time and mine doesn't look good. I like the electric needle for my quilting! :D
Old 10-01-2011, 05:41 AM

Try using a hoop to hold the work. Use your underneath hand to feel the needle as it comes thru to the back and tell you when to shift the needle to make the stitch come to the top again.. I could never use the stab stitch technique, but taking three or four stitches with the hoop method works fine. Hand quilting is very relaxing once you get going. I listen to audiobooks while I hand quilt.
The thinner battings are the best for hand quilting. I find "warm and natural" just about the hardest thing to hand quilt through, won't use it for that, as you have to make much bigger stitches to get thru it.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:48 AM

Don't give up! You've got a lot of helpful suggestions here. Otherwise, just keep going. It takes practice, and it's well worth the time you put into it. Before you go any further- take a picture of what you did for your first attempt! Down the road it will be fun to look back on and see how much you've improved.

I would also say just practice quilting in a straight line for now. Forget curves until you are comfortable with what you can do on a straight line.

Have fun with it, you'll get better if you keep at it, I promise! :)
Old 10-01-2011, 05:50 AM

Oh, and btw- I find it much harder to make consistent stitches with a stab stitch. Rock it but just do one stitch at a time, then gradually work your way up as you get better. (Though borntohandquilt only does one stitch at a time and she does such amazing, amazing work.)
Old 10-01-2011, 05:52 AM

Keep trying I hand quilt because that is how I was taught,I can't FMQ very well at all ---Practice makes perfect ---so they say
Old 10-01-2011, 07:24 AM

Thanks for all the tips. Praticing hand quilting will be my wintertime project. It is something I would like to do. Can you beleive I enjoy sewing down my bindings while watching TV. Can hand quilting be far behind. grin.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by true4uca
Thanks for all the tips. Praticing hand quilting will be my wintertime project. It is something I would like to do. Can you beleive I enjoy sewing down my bindings while watching TV. Can hand quilting be far behind. grin.
Nope, it can't! If you enjoy sewing down your bindings, then I'd think you'll love hand quilting! (bindings= not my favorite ;) )
Old 10-01-2011, 09:41 AM

A little FYI for beginning hand quilters: I have been handquilting for many years, but when I don't do it for a long time, sometimes months, I lose the feel for it and is a struggle to get started. Fortunately, I start all the quilting in the middle and the wonky first stitches aren't so noticable. Don't get discourage after just a few stitches, or even the first 100 stitches. Hang in there. Handquilting is not difficult.