Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Hand quilting

Hand quilting

Does anyone on this board do hand quilting? The machine quilting is beautiful but I would love to see some hand quilting also. Just a thought.
    Lorraine
    I love hand quilting, gives me peace.

I love to hand quilt. I tried machine quilting and didn't enjoy it or like how it looked.
    Sue

Do a search and you find lots of hand quilting on here.
    For one there is AshleyR she does hand quilting.
    Last edited by valleyquiltermo; 01-23-2012 at 05:47 PM.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Blog Entries
    Look up "borntohandquilt" - Andrea is marvelous and has given a tutorial here on the board!! And "MarthaT" also does wonderful work. You can do an advanced search for Pictures , HandQuilting. I'm starting it and love it!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

I also love to hand quilt and have been doing it for over 30 years. There are a lot of us who still do it.

Blog Entries
    I love to hand piece and hand quilt. I find it to be both soothing and therapeutic. There's just nothing like having a piece of fabric in one hand, and a threaded needle in the other!
    Kerry
    ~ American by birth, Southern by the grace of God ~

reoes anyone on this board do hand quilting? The machine quilting is beautiful but I would love to see some hand quilting also. Just a thought.
    My thoughts exactly. Machine quilting can be quite nice, but a hand quilted quilt is so beautiful and such a joy to do.
    When my friends join in on the fun, it is even better
    Take time today to scatter seeds of kindness to all you meet.

Hand quilting ,

it does give me peace, a stillness i need when i get started, i just have a hard time getting started. A new quilter should at least try don,t pin yourself down trying to be perfect just enjoy, when it gets hectic it isn,t fun anymore

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    I do both...just like hand knitting and machine knitting... two different hobbies...

I handquilt....when I started quilting I learned English Paper Piecing, then got interested in machine piecing and am slowly coming to grips with machine quilting. Nothing gives me more pleasure than handquilting and the feel of a handquilted quilt. I guess I am destined to have a foot in both camps I really do enjoy the speed of using the machine (so many ideas/projects on my to do list) and one day would love to try long arm quilting (Charisma, Eddie and all the other long-arm artists who bring such life and beauty to the quilts entrusted to them astound me regularly) but I will always love handquilting.....for the peace and happiness it brings (kept alive on this board by many - especially "borntohandquilt" the lovely Andrea).

I hand quilt and have posted many pictures on this site of my quilts. You can also check my blog, the address of which is in my signature line.

I love to hand quilt and I am sure you will too once you get the hang of it. I have an article with heaps of tips which you may find useful. Here is the link for you, click here for info on how to hand quilt
    Visit Stitching Cow today for free patterns and helpful information www.stitchingcow.com

Hi Lorraine!
    There are many hand quilters here on this board and I am so happy that this wonderful craft is still alive. I am completely addicted to hand quilting and I do wholecloth quilts. Feel free to visit my homepage, the link is written in my signature.

Blog Entries
    I'm working on my second hand quilt right now.
    It definatly is a diffrent look.
    I love hand quilted stuff.
    ~~Fabric Resource Center...now does that sound more impressive than "Fabric Junkie" ?~~

I have handquilted for more than 40 years. It is totally soothing and can be portable. I also love wholecloth the best as having no seams to traverse makes it a totally enjoyable passtime. I make about 20 Linus quilts a month. Those I machine quilt as they will have to withstand a lot of wear and tear. I will confess that if I make a quilt or quilt related gift for a friend or relative that doesn't appreciate handquilting I machine quilt it or have it longarmed. For about ten years I was a handquilter for hire. The advent of the longarm has for all intents and purposes have put me out of business.
    Trying to sew, quilt or read everyday.

Handquilting is a passion of mine - for 30 years. All of my large quilts are handquilted. Most of my wall hangings, lap quilts, etc. are machine quilted. I'm also in a group of six who get together weekly to handquilt. We take turns quilting our tops, enjoy good food and nurture our friendship. It's like an old fashioned quilting bee and we have been together for probably 20 years. If you can get a group of six together around a quilt frame, I highly recommend it. It's good for the soul.

Blog Entries
    I do both. I love to sit and work on handquilting in the evenings as I watch tv and wind down from the day. I also hand piece, knit, crochet, embroider, needlepoint, and do counted cross stitch. I've always done handwork since I was a child and I don't thnk I'll ever stop. I do machine piece most of the time but I always have a hand piecing project going too.
    "I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane!"
    Valarie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
    I love to hand piece and hand quilt. I find it to be both soothing and therapeutic. There's just nothing like having a piece of fabric in one hand, and a threaded needle in the other!
    This is true. I love to hand quilt, too.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

This board has a wonderful search function. It is the white box with a magnifying glass next to it in the brown bar at the top of the page. If you put hand quilted in the search window you will get pages and pages of pictures. I imagine you will get tons more links if you put in handquilted handquilting, hand quilting or any variation.

As so many posted there are many of us who hand quilt still. I do both hand and longarm. Here are some links to some of my hand quilting pictures posted here:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t107423.html
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...lt-t22341.html
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...p-t127559.html
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ks-t22344.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
    I handquilt....when I started quilting I learned English Paper Piecing, then got interested in machine piecing and am slowly coming to grips with machine quilting. Nothing gives me more pleasure than handquilting and the feel of a handquilted quilt. I guess I am destined to have a foot in both camps I really do enjoy the speed of using the machine (so many ideas/projects on my to do list) and one day would love to try long arm quilting (Charisma, Eddie and all the other long-arm artists who bring such life and beauty to the quilts entrusted to them astound me regularly) but I will always love handquilting.....for the peace and happiness it brings (kept alive on this board by many - especially "borntohandquilt" the lovely Andrea).
    My feelings exactly!
    Bernie

I hand quilt too. I wouldn't mind trying machine quilting, but I've never had a machine capable of it. Here are some pics of some hand quilting that I posted on the QB awhile back. (I have a different avatar since I posted it)
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...x-t102744.html
    Jo

I always hand quilt. I don't know how to machine quilt, and I have too many control issues to let someone else take over and do it for me. I have done three Q-K whole-cloth hand-quilted, and many, many others. I try to leave a lot of "white space" in my quilts just so that I can do a lot of fancy stuff. My avatar is the center medallion of one of my whole-cloths. I'm not good at it, but I like doing it.
    Eternity is a very long time -- especially toward the end.

Cool Hand quilting!

I am a hand quilter living in Michigan. While I've done a few machine quilted pieces, I prefer to hand quilt. You can see my work on my blog at http://blog.caronmosey.com and work by other hand quilters at the blog http://celebratehandquilting.blogspot.com .

Caron

I continue to hand quilt. Tried machine quilting and have done several small projects but my machine is just not large enough to do a bed sized quilt. It winds up being more work than fun.

I am a hand quilter and plan to always be one. I do machine quilt my borders but they are real easy
    as you are working with the sides and ends. I feel hand quilting is a work of art but is becoming a lost
    art which is too bad.
    "BIG SKY COUNTRY"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast