Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ??? HAND quilting ???

I do baste, minimal with very large bastig stitches, the whole quilt but work very much the same after that. Yes, relax and enjoy. I also find it is nearly impossible to get wrinkles. The only time I did was when I quilted a section out of order. So I had quilted from the center out and then had skipped a section. When I tried to quilt that later it had wrinkles so I ended up taking everything past that skipped section out to straighten it. So besure to work from the center out in circles with hoop quilting.

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
    Have you basted them? I only baste the edges when I hand-quilt. I hold the layers together with clamps, not pins.
    I always start in the center and work my way out. I put the quilt in the hoop and pull it tight, especially the backing. There's no way a wrinkle can get in there!! Then I push my thumbs in gently to give it a little "give" and check and double check and then only when I'm sure there are NO wrinkles (there will be some around the frame itself, but you're not quilting that close to the frame) I start quilting.
    Take a deep breath and relax. This is supposed to be fun!
    Anna Quilts

I think the answer is baste, baste, baste and then you can even go without a hoop. You need to do what's most comfortable for you.

I like this hoop lap stand. You can find some of the smaller sizes on overstock.com and others on amazon too.
    I think mine is 10 and 14 in. or so. You can use it either way, dismantle it for travel or use one by itself without the lift. They are non slip and don't wear like the wooden ones. No I am not affiliated with them. lol

http://www.nosliphoops.com/lap-stands.html
    Anna Quilts

I am making my first quilt! The top is done (Amish Tulip Quilt with appliques). I've done a great job if I have to say so myself. I'm ready to start putting layers together and I want to hand quilt. I have a little bit of back trouble so I'm looking for the most comfortable way to proceed. So here are my questions:

1) Does the floor hoop pull close enough that you can quilt easily without leaning forward? Can you sit up straight or even lean back on a sofa to use that? OR

2) Would a lap hoop be easier on my back because my position could be more flexible?

Thank you in advance for your advice! Thank you to the woman I bumped into at JoAnn Fabrics who told me about this site.

Back in the day when I used to hand quilt, I didn't use any kind of hoop... I just had the quilt loose in my lap. Granted, I never did huge ones, but I just found hoops to be too cumbersome.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I saw the guy from Noslip hoops at the Cinti quilt show last month - and his product looks wonderful - well made. He also makes his own stencils, and focuses on the hand quilter!

My suggestion is baste, baste, baste. Look for Susan Schamber's method of basting. I do that now, and my quilt never shifts. I feel (esp for the larger quilts) take the time to baste the quilt (and it may take a few hours to do it well) but it was well worth the time because NOTHING shifted as I quilted on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodmama View Post
    I am making my first quilt! The top is done (Amish Tulip Quilt with appliques). I've done a great job if I have to say so myself. I'm ready to start putting layers together and I want to hand quilt. I have a little bit of back trouble so I'm looking for the most comfortable way to proceed. So here are my questions:

1) Does the floor hoop pull close enough that you can quilt easily without leaning forward? Can you sit up straight or even lean back on a sofa to use that? OR

2) Would a lap hoop be easier on my back because my position could be more flexible?

Thank you in advance for your advice! Thank you to the woman I bumped into at JoAnn Fabrics who told me about this site.
    Congratulations! Please post pictures of the quilt!
    I have back problems too. I have found it is much easier to use my 14 inch lap hoop than on my floor frame. I like to baste on my floor frame, tho, but once it's basted, it's outtathere! I like the mobility of a lap hoop too. I can work on it in any room of my house or take it on the road!
    Good luck and welcome to the board

Always start from the middle and work out. I like a hand hoop for the outter parts since you can sit back in your chair and relax. For the inner parts a floor hoop keeps it in place better since it's bulky. I do find with the floor hoop you need to lean somewhat. I use pillows behing my back. I think it's harder then a lap hoop for anyone with a back problem. Just my opinion.

I do the same thing. I use the floor hoop to start the middle of the quilt, and use the lap hoop once that is nice and tight.

Ditto to Val in IN. I have a frame I bought at JoAnn (PVC pipe) but I mainly use to to hold the quilt off the floor. Just baste or pin very well.

I use a PVC hand held frame to hand quilt held in my lap. I do not baste either, but pin well. I am very careful, though as I move to a new area that I have all the layers very even and smooth. I am thinking of making a standing frame that will fit in the small area in my room I have to work in for the summer months. I will use PVC for this and you can purchase greenhouse clamps of PVC to hold the quilt to the frame. You can purchase one like this already made, but I need to make mine to fit the space I have available.

Thank you!

Thank you all for the feedback! I am going to try the lap hoop; it's cheap and if I change my mind later I can always get something different.

I tried to upload a picture of the front of the quilt and got a message that the upload failed. Maybe the file is too large...??? And I don't know how to resize it. I'll try again another time.

Quote Originally Posted by Val in IN View Post
    I'm the oddball here. I handquilt without using a frame OR a hoop. I DO baste very well before I start my quilting. I just can't get used to using a frame or hoop.
    Not the only oddball. I have used both frame and hoop and find quilting without is much easier (no moving all that fabric around) and it's more comfortable. Haven't noticed any difference in the quality of the work.

No hoop or frame here. Like it has been said before just baste it very well and go for it!
    Blessed are they that can laugh at themselves, For they shall never cease to be amused.

http://quiltsnmore.webs.com

I am laughing because I am afraid to machine quilt because of wrinkles. Using the lap hoop I can smooth out the wrinkles as I go making my quilt nice and flat. Funny I never thought about adding some lack to the hoop, I kept it tight for years. This site teaches us all something new. I just purchased a floor hoop frame & love the idea of using it for the middle. Since I am moving to Fl next week I will be looking for ways to keep the weight & heat off of my lap!
    .* .*)) -::-
    ((.*~Dody.*))
    -::- ((.* .*((.. *-::- ...

Trying to Post Photo

Testing -- Hope the photo posted!

Yeah, it worked! So this is the front of the quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Power Poster
    A video that I found helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeSSyueipPw

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    A video that I found helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeSSyueipPw

I have found numerous very helpful clips on YouTube. It's one thing to read someone's instructions; it's a whole other thing to see it demonstrated.

I am getting back to my first quilt which I started over 13 years ago when my kids were in 4-H. I have seen the above mentioned video and may take her class at the Long Beach Quilt Show, but am also intrigued by the Thimblelady. I am looking for a lap frame (one that I sit on the base). Does anyone here have the frame by the Thimblelady or the one made by Hinterberg? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2