Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting >

Hand quilting

Hand quilting

Old 01-27-2016, 11:52 PM

Default Hand quilting

What are the rules on size of stitches or even how do you stitch?
When i have done in the past I did back stitches on a quilt for my dad which I now own. Some of the seams are coming undone and I have to repair ( easy project), but I want to hand stitch a new quilt for me. Any tips on hand quilting would be appreciated to ensure don't undo as my first did.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:18 AM
Power Poster

There are no (Rules) as for number of stitches, or how you stitch. The ( professional hand quilters) may get 12-14 stitches per inch ( or smaller) but generally it is more important to strive for consistent, even stitches. Work to get your stitches the same size, top & bottom, with the same distance between stitches. With time & lots of practice your stitching will be smaller ( if that's what you strive to accomplish.) But the even consistency is more important than stitch length.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:42 AM

Thank you ckcowl . I want to hand stitch the patchwork as well, do I use the same stitch as the top quilting! Like a running stitch?
Old 01-28-2016, 04:00 AM

As for hand piecing, I don't use a running stitch. I, honestly, don't even know what the stitch is called or if it has an 'official' name. I take a stitch through both fabrics, pull thread all the way through, take a second stitch about 1/2 the length of the first stitch, pull thread through, etc. This somewhat 'locks' the stitches. I make relatively smallish stitches when doing this.

As to hand quilting, I don't worry about the number of stitches/inch either. I strive (and notice the use of 'strive' here) to get even stitches top and bottom. I use normally a #11 Roxanne quilting 'between' needle and whatever hand-quilting thread is of the color I want for that piece/section of the quilt. I learned hand quilting primarily by watching Simply Quilts on TV. If you use a hoop to hold your sandwich while quilting, keep it fairly loose in the hoop so you have room to maneuver the fabric. I find it's easier to maneuver the fabric vs doing the traditional 'rocking' movement with my hands.

I've never watched a you tube video of hand quilting but I'm sure there are many here that will jump in and provide you with some helpful links to those.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

It takes a lot of practice to get your stitches the size books recommend. Just like FMQ, practice, practice and practice. Good Luck.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:13 AM

I learned to hand piece from Jinny Beyer's book, 'Quiltmaking by Hand,' and she uses a running stitch. It seems as though backstitching would be even more secure, which makes me wonder why your seams are coming apart. Piecing stitches should be quite small, whereas quilting stitch length is a matter of preference.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:26 AM

NJ Quilter..... Your description of how you hand quilt...sounds like what I have heard referred to as stab stitch. I prefer the rocking movement of the running stitch...but each gives the same look at the end......I don't hand quilt as often as I would like to.....but I do remember being told that every three or four needlefuls of a long line of stitches,do a back stitch to sort of secure the line in case of breakage down the road....anyone else hear that word of wisdom?
Old 01-28-2016, 06:32 AM

You might go to youtube and watch some "hand quilting" videos.
There are NO rules for quilting. IMHO, the goal is to enjoy the process.
I hand quilt and my stitches are not small and close together. But you know what? I'm still happy with the outcome.
Just have fun doing it.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

My first hand stitches were about a quarter inch long. My sister and a book showed me how to wiggle the needle to get more than one stitch at a time on the needle. Over the years my stitches got smaller without me even trying. They are looking good now.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:53 AM

When I hand piece, I make three or four short running stitches, then one back stitch, then repeat. At the end of each piece I make a couple of back stitches. Hand quilting, I try to make small stitches, but they are as they are, but consistent is more important and I also try to be consistent. ( Notice I try)