Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hand quilting? >

hand quilting?

hand quilting?

Old 10-30-2010, 02:44 PM

I use a large wooden hoop when I hand quilt . . no basting...just safety pins. I have some plastic stencils that I have used to trace designs on the quilt top (before sandwiching) and there are marking pencils available at most craft stores. Some people use chalk or a "pouncing pad" that holds chalk, but I have never had one of those.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:49 PM

If I want a special design on my quilt I use a stencil or trace around an object like a cookie cutter with a washout marker or an eraseable pencil. I then lay out the back, batting and top on my Ping Pong table and baste the whole thing together with safety pins. At home I quilt on one of two round floor hoops I have. Each is about 36" around. For pieced geometric designs I usually just echo quilt around the piecing.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:10 PM

Hi there, glad to hear there are other hand quilters and those who want to give it a try. You need to sandwich your quilt, either baste it with large stitches, I use a different color thread. Or use safety pins and start in the middle and work your way out. Then mark it with a quilters pencil, chalk or a method you like. I love the new chalk marking method. But is mark as you go. You can mark the entire quilt with something a little more permenant but make sure it washes out. Then start quilting in a hoop can make it more manageable. Good luck.
PS: Quilt shops have plenty of stencils to make designs, or you can start out by stitching in straight lines or following your quilt block. There are many options.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:15 PM

thank you for the great idea this is the first time to try this i always yarn tied before