Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Hand quilting

  1. #1
    Super Member #1piecemaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Ashdown, AR
    Posts
    9,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Is there a list for hand quilter's on the board?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Hinterland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    943
    Are you looking for hand quilters who quilt for pay, or those who just enjoy hand quilting?

  3. #3
    Super Member #1piecemaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Ashdown, AR
    Posts
    9,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinterland
    Are you looking for hand quilters who quilt for pay, or those who just enjoy hand quilting?
    I do hand quilting for people and just wanted to put my name of the list if there was one.

  4. #4
    Super Member QuiltQtrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NW Arkansas
    Posts
    1,115
    Blog Entries
    2
    Great idea to add this category to the Board. Personally I have an expert
    hand quilter in my area who is very reasonable and prompt in finishing.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    ok
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinterland
    Are you looking for hand quilters who quilt for pay, or those who just enjoy hand quilting?
    I do hand quilting for people and just wanted to put my name of the list if there was one.
    I didn't see a reply to this post. I would love to see how many handquilters we have here. It is a beautiful art.

  6. #6
    Junior Member qltncat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    164
    I am a handquilter, and I also quilt on my sewing machine, and sometimes I do both. Lately, I like to handquilt mini-wholecloths in colored thread.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    ok
    Posts
    450
    I do both hand and machine quilt. Both are beautiful but to be honest if I had the time and patience I would do all in hand. It's beautiful on the back and it makes me think of my special Grandma.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    ok
    Posts
    450
    I would love to see pics of your mini whole cloth quilts.
    Quote Originally Posted by qltncat
    I am a handquilter, and I also quilt on my sewing machine, and sometimes I do both. Lately, I like to handquilt mini-wholecloths in colored thread.

  9. #9
    Super Member ptquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    5,918
    I would also be interested in having my name on a list of hand quilters available to do quilting.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    ok
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter53
    I do both hand and machine quilt. Both are beautiful but to be honest if I had the time and patience I would do all in hand. It's beautiful on the back and it makes me think of my special Grandma.
    I don't do it for pay, not yet anyway, lol, just love the art.

  11. #11
    Junior Member qltncat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter53
    I would love to see pics of your mini whole cloth quilts.
    Quote Originally Posted by qltncat
    I am a handquilter, and I also quilt on my sewing machine, and sometimes I do both. Lately, I like to handquilt mini-wholecloths in colored thread.
    Here are some pictures - thanks for asking.

    I purchase pre-printed stencils, or sometimes I draw my own. These are 18" x 18", and the largest one is 45" x 45".

    I like to give these little ones as gifts.

    Lins
    Attached Images Attached Images



  12. #12
    Super Member Stitchnripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mableton, GA
    Posts
    8,493
    Your quilting is stunning!!!!

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    ok
    Posts
    450
    Beautiful! Thank you for showing them.

  14. #14
    Super Member retrogirl02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    1,773
    There is a user defined section for handquilting. It's a great way to catch all the posts. =)

  15. #15
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,345
    @qltncat: Thank you for sharing, your quilts are beautiful! I like the look of the contrasting thread on the light fabric.
    When you do your own designs, what do you inspire? Or do you just do freehand quilting?

  16. #16
    Senior Member BrandyMcCoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New Baltimore, Mi
    Posts
    871
    I hand quilt also, thats what I learned when I was little been doing it ever since. I also machine quilt but only when my husband is at work. I like to hand quilt when he is home so I can sit with him on the couch:)

  17. #17
    Junior Member qltncat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
    @qltncat: Thank you for sharing, your quilts are beautiful! I like the look of the contrasting thread on the light fabric.
    When you do your own designs, what do you inspire? Or do you just do freehand quilting?
    I'm sorry it took so long to respond to you. I like to use contrasting thread on light backgrounds. It really "pops" the stitches, in my opinion.

    I don't freehand, I usually fold paper and cut it, like making snowflakes as a child. Then I have this blown up to 16"x16" (or whatever size I want) at the copy shop. I trace this photocopy onto freezer paper, which cleans up the lines that became thick with the enlargement. I iron the freezer paper to the wrong side of the quilt top fabric. I don't have a lightbox, so I tape the top to a window and redraw the lines with a water soluble pen. I "sandwich" the quilt and baste it. I'm now ready to quilt!

    Thanks for asking.

    Linda

  18. #18
    Senior Member Kristin in ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Maine, U.S.A.
    Posts
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by retrogirl02
    There is a user defined section for handquilting. It's a great way to catch all the posts. =)
    Little late coming to this... but wondering how you find this section?

    Also, doesn't sound like there is one, but I'd love to be added to a list of handquilters for hire if there is one! :)

  19. #19
    Super Member lfw045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rustburg, VA (for the moment anyway)
    Posts
    1,696
    I had quilt when I have a project to do. It is very relaxing!

  20. #20
    Senior Member marscrafter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Southwest
    Posts
    444
    I hand quilt as well, unless it's going to be a heavily washed quilt. It's fun to have a project you can do hanging out with your family.

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sturbridge, Ma
    Posts
    4,014
    great job of hand quilting. They are my designs....

  22. #22
    Super Member running1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Clinton, OK
    Posts
    1,645
    Blog Entries
    1
    I'm just a beginner handquilter, but loving every stitch... I LOVE reading all the posts and looking at everyone's quilting... it inspires me!

    Now, to find the place here where all the posts about handquilting can be found... here I go!!

  23. #23
    Super Member Iamquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central Minnesota
    Posts
    1,758
    Blog Entries
    3
    I do hand quilting only and if a list is started I would like to have my name put on it also.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    438
    I hand quilt. One of these days I would love to do it for pay. Just need to get some things finished.

  25. #25
    Senior Member willis.debra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Cleburne, Texas, USA
    Posts
    338
    I do hand quilting as well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.