Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hand quilting threads

Superior Thread is great. They also carry silkk which is heaven!

I hand-quilt but I don't use hand-quilting thread because I don't want it to be waxed/glazed. So far I've been using Cotty 30 weight, Sulky 30 weight (pretty much identical), Sulky 12 weight (bit thicker, and the end frays more) and am planning to try perle #8 for big stitch quilting (at which point my stitches will probably wobble about in size as I settle down with a new technique). I'm curious about the possibilities with the thicker threads as I'd rather like my stitches to show up more, but I don't want to make the technique harder for me. I use a big eye size 11 needle, though of course that'll be too small for the perle 8.

Is perle 12 the same thickness as 12 wt quilting thread, does anyone know?

I like Gutermann hand quilting thread.

If you have not hand quilted before, make sure you keep your threads separate. Never use hand quilting thread in your sewing machine!

Blog Entries
    So what stores carry the YLI thread? Also where on the spool is the weight listed?

I love YLI for hand quilting. and their other products for peicinga and longarming. great thread. it is waxed, so doesnt tangle bad and sews easily. comes in many colors.
    also their headquarters in in SC. I got a tour of the plant a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by vickimc
    I love YLI for hand quilting. and their other products for peicinga and longarming. great thread. it is waxed, so doesnt tangle bad and sews easily. comes in many colors.
    also their headquarters in in SC. I got a tour of the plant a few years ago.
    Oh I am SO jealous! I would love to go on a tour at a thread factory

I use Gutterman, Mettler and Tanne as my hand quilting threads. Just remember to not use hand quilting threads in the sewing machine as they will interfere with the tension discs.

Quote Originally Posted by 117becca
    I don't know what it stands for either...It is the brand name. When I ordered it - i googled "purchase YLI thread" or something like that. I got it from Rushbrooke or something like that. Definitely will order from them agoin - I hope i can find her card :)

The shipping cost from this woman was minimal and appropriate...unlike where i get my checks - $16 for shipping AND handling :thumbdown:

The cost for 2 large spools (1200 yds each) was 7.95 for each spool and less than $3 for the shipping. A smaller spool I think is $4...
    If you find this address please PM me with the information.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma Libby
    When you do this BIG STITCH quilting, just how big are your stitches? I wanted to do some baby blankets but am trying to decide whether to do stitch in the ditch with the machine or maybe run some of these stitches. Just curious.... THANKS for you help. Libby
    I did this using a Perle #8, I suppose the stitches were a bit over 1/4"

I also like the Coats & Clark 100% cotton hand quilting thread. I also use a Guterman thread when I can catch it on sale.

Thanks for the picture. This helps. Pretty block, too.

Usually Coats and Clark 100% cotton hand quilting thread. NEVER use a polyester or nylon thread on a cotton quilt! It will eventually "cut" the fabric. I hand quilt almost everything

Quote Originally Posted by NDQuilts
    Almost every thread company makes a handquilting thread but I prefer YLI as well. Handquilting thread have a different construction than those for machine. Id highly recommend buying or borrowing a copy of the book That Perfect Stitch by Roxanne McElroy. She discusses the manufacture of hand quilting tools/materials and ergonomic handquilting techniques.

Love that book and follow a lot of her advice. I use YLI, Gutermann and Silk thread for handquilting.

Quote Originally Posted by QazyQltr

What does YLI stand for??? Thanks:-)

I don't think it stands for anything...just the brandname.

Banned
    Always use cotton, king tut is the best, as seems thicker than norm.
    glad to hear you are over asthma meds, ventolin used to affect me badly but have others instead.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltlady37
    I use Pearl Cotton when doing the big utility stitch. I do like the YLI for regular handquilting.
    This is good to read, I really could have written the op!
    I found some Pearl Cotton, .89 for a 75 yd spool, from an online place in Texas. Haven't tried it yet, I just got it yesterday. It's Size 8, I hope that's the right size.

I just read a post, with pic, that #8 was used. Yay!
    Because I bought $101.90 worth, included a few other things besides thread, there was no shipping charge, and for some reason I got a discount of $10.19

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2