Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilting....wish I had looked here first >

Hand Quilting....wish I had looked here first

Hand Quilting....wish I had looked here first

Old 09-29-2013, 08:05 AM

Default Hand Quilting....wish I had looked here first

I have finally finished my half inch hexie quilt top.

I've been trying to figure out how to quilt it. I tried a few different things...but decided the best (only?) solution was to hand quilt it. I had never hand quilted before.

I wish I had come here first and researched it. I know better!

I have gone about it the hard way for sure. I am using W&N. Combined with all the seam alowances, what a pain! Literally!

I have tried more than a half dozen thimbles, and many needles. $$

Many hours in, I'm considering tearing it out and changing the batting.
I'm going to order a plastic Thimblelady thimble.

The needle issue is still a little in the air. But, I am thinking, correct me if I'm wrong, changing the bat will change the feel of the needles going though the layers. But, I like a longer needle due to issues controlling little ones and am considering ordering some from the TL.

Do you think it would be worth changing the bat?
And, I have read good things about the TL needles, but I also read a comment on here that they are bendy...how bendy? I can flex my appliqué needles between my fingers. That bendy?
Old 09-29-2013, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

*gasp*
1/2 inch hexies!!!!!!!

Congratulations to you for doing the quilt ... please show us a picture of it unquilted.

No experience here at quilting the hexies, other than a couple of small table mats of 1" hexies where I used poly ... but yes, would think that poly or wool would be better. I'm far from experienced at hand quilting, sowhat do I know? It was all a challenge!

I have been working on a red, white and black hexie in 1-1/2" and have already been wondering about the quilting process. I feel these are just too big ... and my next will be a 1-1/4" one in thirties fabrics. I figure it'll work up a little faster than the one inch ones that I did earlier.

Look forward to learning from the hexie pros as they respond!
Old 09-29-2013, 08:27 AM

I've never done a hexie, but I do hand quilt.

How far in are you? I once took out a full border width of hand quilting - it's not that hard to do - but it is heart breaking.

My only suggestion is that you keep the quilt sandwich very loose in your hoop, and not use W&N on the next one.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:43 AM

Here is a picture of the sandwiched top. It measures about 40"x50". It is 30's repro fabric, brighter in person. You can't tell from the photo, but the center is mostly quilted, though not well.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]438689[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 6ab5799fac6b961e113d9b8376f87435.jpg  
Old 09-29-2013, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

It looks beautiful! I would not take it apart and use different batt myself. I would switch to a stab stitch or do one stitch at a time, as one of the hand quilters does on QB. I believe she posted pictures in the QB tutorial section.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

Thanks Suze9395 for posting your pick ... it is beautiful!
Old 09-29-2013, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

That is a gorgeous quilt. I don't do hand quilting, so my opinion is not worth much, but I would take out the batt and use one that was better for hand stitching. I have removed machine quilting from many a quilt because I didn't like the way it was looking, so I somewhat appreciate the frustration, but I always feel much better starting again with the opportunity to do better. You have done so much work making a truly excellent top, and now you feel that your hand quilting is suffering because of the batt, so it seems to me that replacing the batt will make you much happier.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

It is a lovely quilt. Your design is much more interesting than your usual hexagon GFG.

I would estimate - that if it's "only" the center that you have done - that you are 1/4 to 1/3 done with the top.

Which would be easier -in the long run - to continue as you are? or to take out what you have and start over with a thinner batting?
Old 09-29-2013, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

warm & natural is definitely not a great choice for hand quilting- even without all the seams it is difficult to stitch through- I also prefer a longer needle when hand quilting and generally choose a 'sharp' in the size appropriate for the thread I am using. hobbs 80/20 is a nice batting for hand quilting. if you are a long way into your project you may want to keep struggling along but if you have not gone too far it may be a good choice to switch the batting. avoid battings with 'scrim' for hand quilting projects. better to start over than put it aside & never finish it. it is beautiful.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

beautiful. more patience than I got. So I can't really offer you any suggestions. Sorry!