Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand sewing thread, bees wax, needles?  First EPP Project >

Hand sewing thread, bees wax, needles? First EPP Project

Hand sewing thread, bees wax, needles? First EPP Project

Old 04-25-2018, 04:06 PM

Default Hand sewing thread, bees wax, needles? First EPP Project

I had an earlier post about my upcoming trip and doing some hand quilting. I found a delightful bundle of 9 F8 in my stash, 2 inch hexies at one shop and a glue stick at another. Now I have just over 100 hexies glued and ready to sew.

I have 'Sharps' hand sewing needles, show I look for something else?

I have a variety of poly, cotton, serger, embroidery thread in my collection, should I buy some 'quilting' thread?

Do I need bees wax? I see on some tutorials they draw the thread through what looks like bees wax.

Last question of the day, single or double thread? It looks like people use single in tutorials and that is what I planned, but I thought I would ask those here with more experience.

If all goes well I will be able to make a baby quilt when I get home.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:17 PM

Use fine thread like Aurifil 50wt or even Superior Bottom Line (I don't like bottom line because it is stiff & hard to keep the needle threaded, but it is great for tiny invisible stitches), or even silk. I've used Thread Heaven or wax, but honestly I don't most of the time. I use a Clover table needle threader. I use a single thread.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:36 PM

I use Bee's wax all the time.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:42 PM
Power Poster

Sharps are fine. I use one thread also- around a 50 wt.
Yes to beeswax and be sure not to have the thread too long or it tangles, even with beeswax.
Have fun!
Old 04-25-2018, 06:05 PM

I use a milliners #12 needle and aurifil or bottom line thread. I personally prefer to sew the hexies together side by side rather right sides together. I get no threads peeking at the seams that way....saw this on a YouTube, but sorry, don't remember whose.......have fun on your new adventure......
Old 04-25-2018, 08:15 PM

Thank you,

I love the generous help offered on this board. I will look for the bees wax and light weight thread tomorrow. I think I have some old Silk thread. I should give it a tug, if it is the right colour I can use it. It is super fine.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:09 PM

I really like using the Bee's was too - there is another product available that comes in a little blue box (can't think of the name right now) that works well too. I usually use the milliner needles, but will use what ever I have close by. And I do the single thread too. Most of the time I am use the Bottom Line thread - but will use the 50 weight or 60 weight thread if I have the right color.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
I use a milliners #12 needle and aurifil or bottom line thread. I personally prefer to sew the hexies together side by side rather right sides together. I get no threads peeking at the seams that way....saw this on a YouTube, but sorry, don't remember whose.......have fun on your new adventure......
Oh, I appreciate your post! I prefer doing it that way too. A quilting police officer inquired, Oh you do it that way? while she watched me do it that way....I just smiled and said yes. I also think the completed pieces lie flatter when sewn together this way.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
I really like using the Bee's was too - there is another product available that comes in a little blue box (can't think of the name right now) that works well too. I usually use the milliner needles, but will use what ever I have close by. And I do the single thread too. Most of the time I am use the Bottom Line thread - but will use the 50 weight or 60 weight thread if I have the right color.
Thread Heaven....
Old 04-26-2018, 03:35 AM

You've probably already done your shopping, but...I prefer Thread Heaven vs beeswax. For hand piecing, I use whatever thread is the correct color for the project. Also not concerned about needles - just don't want anything too thick/large. I would not use hand quilting thread for piecing on a hexie project...too thick in my opinion.

Have fun on your trip and making your hexies!