Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hand sewn quilt blocks 1930's >

hand sewn quilt blocks 1930's

hand sewn quilt blocks 1930's

Old 08-11-2018, 04:59 PM

Default hand sewn quilt blocks 1930's

I have a box of hand sewn quilt blocks, some patterns I have enough for a whole quilt and some not. How do I best use these? Do I need to hand sew them together into a top or can I use my machine? Can I use 100 percent cotton on the back? Can these be used or just displayed? I have never done anything like this before-Help. Thank you.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:03 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board!
You have a lot of options.
You could machine sew them into a quilt, or take some and display them away from direct sunlight.
You can certainly use cotton backing- in fact I recommend it.
Is there any way you could post some photos? Other people will give you some ideas too. This board is very helpful.
I just thought of another thing- you could make pillows with some of the blocks as well. Or wallhangings of your favorite ones.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:08 AM

You could put them all together and see how big it will turn out. Maybe even a lap size or you could have some put into frames and display on the wall. I would recommend using 100% cotton fabric for the back. Could you post pictures of your blocks? Then I am sure you will get more ideas from the members here.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:49 AM

If you have two sets of different blocks where the colors would work together, you could alternate them to make a quilt. Or you could alternate the blocks with plain blocks you cut to go with them.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:17 PM
Power Poster

I can't help you.

Welcome to this board.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:37 PM

Welcome! I recommend cotton fabric for the backing also. Sampler quilts are very pretty so you might be able to use all of your blocks in one quilt depending on the book sizes.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:33 PM

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by mcbridelg View Post
I have a box of hand sewn quilt blocks, some patterns I have enough for a whole quilt and some not. How do I best use these? Do I need to hand sew them together into a top or can I use my machine? Can I use 100 percent cotton on the back? Can these be used or just displayed? I have never done anything like this before-Help. Thank you.
Thanks for the ideas on the antique quilt blocks- that really helped me to think of new ways to display.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:34 PM

Thanks for the ideas on the antique quilt blocks- that really helped me to think of new ways to display.