Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: hand tying a quilt??

I am thinking of hand tying my next quilt, instead of machine quilting or using a long arm. I am not sure why I am thinking of this. Maybe it reminds me of my grandmother's quilts.

If you have hand tied a quilt, were you satisfied with the results?

I hand tied a wall hanging once. Personally, I don't care for the look of tied quilts and have never tied a quilt again. Also, machine quilting will make them last longer. Less rubbing of batting against fabric.

I have hand tied. If it is a quilt that is not heirloom quality and will be used a lot, that is a quick way to get it out of the sewing room and start caressing someone. I would never do it with a quilt that was time-consuming and/or expensive. They deserve to be quilted and the quilting will definitely complement the work that was put into the construction. Careful with baby quilts and hand tying. They could choke.

Because of Arthur-itis taking over the use of hands and wrists, I only tie now days. (always hand quilted) I use embrodery floss, and tie rather closely. Probably only 1 1/2 inch apart on last quilt. Double tie the knots with a sq. knot. I have had no problem with them. I tied some throw around quilts many years ago, using yarn......which I dislike....and the darn things are still going strong, after 4 kids and MANY washings! I have matched the embrodery floss to the fabric, and it is difficult to even see the ties. I rather like the look. Try it, you may like it!

Blog Entries
    Just like HUmbird, I can't hand stitch anymore, but even before Arthritis set in, I tied several of my quilts. I used the pearle cotton floss, matched my colors, tied at the corner of each block. They have held up real good, and I like the look too. They look a little more puffy and soft. When I asked my daughter what it was she wanted in her quilt, handstitching or pretty pattern blocks, her answer was the blocks. Same with DIL.

Blog Entries
    I have tied about 6 throws and like the look and they have held up well. There is not right or wrong. The best quilt is the finished one that is well loved.

Blog Entries
    I think it boils down to what kind of look you are going for :D:D:D As long as you follow the directions on the package of batting, in regards to how close your ties are, it is really your choice :wink:

I've tied a few quilts and like some of the others, I used embroidery floss. My grandma, who normally hand quilted, tied some of her "utility" quilts. She used yarn and after years and years of wear and washing, the yarn kinda turned into fuzzy little balls. LOL I like the embroidery floss better. A friend of mine tied a baby quilt with narrow pink ribbon and tied them into bows, sewing through the knots to keep them tied. It was sooo cute, but I wondered how the bows would look after washing or after a baby chewed on them!

Okay, thanks. I am trying to decide now when I last saw a hand tied quilt. Maybe I ought to look at one again, though I think I like the sounds of it. Time to research...

Banned
    dreaming of a simple life. Living off the grid!
    I hand quilt so sometimes there is not enough of time so have tied quilts when I needed it in a hurry or for charity.

I have tied quilts. I don't like them as much as my hand quilted, but there is definitely a place for tying. I have a King size trip around the world, I made in the 80's. I never have been really in love with the quilt, it is made from old calicos. I plan on tying it with friends this summer.

Tied quilts last just as long as hand quilted ones. They wash up just as nicely and if tied correctly and tight, as they should be, baby quilts are fine with being tied also.

I have tied several baby quilts and 1 throw size. I prefer to use perle cotton crochet thread to tie them. All are for drag around the house/yard quilts. I remember my oldest son spending hours trying to grab the ties on an old, old baby quilt before he could crawl so I think it gives an added brain boost to baby quilts & the ties have held up as well as, if not better than some of the cheaper machine quilting threads. I know that old baby quilt my son laid on was at least 20 years old and has seen lots more babies since.

Banned
    I have tied some. However, I tied to the back rather than the front. I ran the thread through seam allowances where they crossed and in one case ran the thread to appear to be a x stitch in the crossing seam allowance. I liked this better than the ties on the top. However, ties on the top do have a certain appeal.

I tie the majority of my quilts. They are primarily for my kids and grandkids. They are sturdy and hold great. If I'm making a fancy one, then they are quilted.

Quote Originally Posted by humbird
    Because of Arthur-itis taking over the use of hands and wrists, I only tie now days. (always hand quilted) I use embrodery floss, and tie rather closely. Probably only 1 1/2 inch apart on last quilt. Double tie the knots with a sq. knot. I have had no problem with them. I tied some throw around quilts many years ago, using yarn......which I dislike....and the darn things are still going strong, after 4 kids and MANY washings! I have matched the embrodery floss to the fabric, and it is difficult to even see the ties. I rather like the look. Try it, you may like it!
    I agree, do try it. I tie all of mine because of Arthur comming to visit me too. They do not come apart if tied right.

Blog Entries
    I only tie the crazy quilts and quilt the rest. Glenn

Tying is a great option. Especially if you're short on patience and time. I tied my last quilt and it held up just fine. It's a different look than quilting, less formal, which can be good if it's intentional.

I'm with you humbird. The first quilt I made was tied with yarn. I didn't know how to quilt. It was ugly, ugly but the blasted thing keeps hanging around. It has been used by four sons, taken on picnics, to the beach, on camping trips and washed a gazillion times. I did notice last time after washing there were some areas that were getting pretty thin. I will miss it. It has become an old friend.

If you are tying your quilt, just don't use yarn. It does ball up and gradually seems to loosen so that the batting shifts when washing and some of the ties may even pull out or tear your fabric. Some acyrlic yarms do not like the dryer and may melt a little or shrivel. You should also consider your time factor. I think it would be faster to just machine quilt it (especially stitch in the ditch) than to tie it. Finally it just comes down once again to personal preference and the end use of your quilt. I think machine quilting will stand up better than hand tying after years of use.

LIKE YOU, I ALSO USED TO HAND QUILT EVERYTHING, BUT AGE IS CATCHING UP WITH ME. MY HANDS WILL NO LONGER ALLOW ME TO HAND QUILT, AND I DON'T LIKE TO MACHINE QUILT SO I TIE ALL MY PROJECTS THESE DAYS. I NO LONGER MAKE LARGE QUILTS - JUST LARGE THROWS AND BABY QUILTS. LIKE YOU, I MATCH THE EMBROIDERY FLOSS TO THE FABRIC AND USE SQUARE KNOTS. MY GRANDS HAVE USED THEIRS FOR MANY YEARS, AND THEY ARE JUST FINE. JUST COMPLETED 2 WALLHANGINGS FOR AN ABUSE RESOURCE CENTER AND TIED THE 3" SQUARES ON THE BACK. MATCHED THE FLOSS SO CLOSELY THAT YOU CAN SCARCELY SEE THE STITCH. TURNED OUT BEAUTIFULLY.

I have tied many utility quilts and they seem to have held up well. If one side is pieced, I will put the tie on the back so the piecing shows and the ties don't. I use 3 strands of embroidery floss in a matching color.

Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    I have tied some. However, I tied to the back rather than the front. I ran the thread through seam allowances where they crossed and in one case ran the thread to appear to be a x stitch in the crossing seam allowance. I liked this better than the ties on the top. However, ties on the top do have a certain appeal.
    I like this idea, may have to try it. Thanks! humbird

Quote Originally Posted by Dina
    I am thinking of hand tying my next quilt, instead of machine quilting or using a long arm. I am not sure why I am thinking of this. Maybe it reminds me of my grandmother's quilts.

If you have hand tied a quilt, were you satisfied with the results?
    Dina:
    I hand tied my first 2 quilts years and years ago. I made 6" square jean quilts for both my kids. I used 'Red Heart' yarn that someone gave me. I used a large eye yarn needle & tied in the 'almost' center of the square. Reason I said 'almost' is because I had no instruction on how to even quilt.
    Anyways; most important thing to remember is to use a 'square knot' for tying & it will never come undone. At least the kids' quilts haven't yet and over 30 years old.
    Square Knot....right over left ... then left over right.

I've only tied a wall hanging and was not happy with the look. I haven't wanted to do another one since.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast