Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: handed down lace tablecloths

handed down lace tablecloths

Anybody know what I can do with my grandmother's lace tablecloths that I inherited? They have some stains on them, doubt if I can get them out. I hate to pitch them!!!

cut nice peices out of them and frame them?

Blog Entries
    I don't know if it works yet. but, I found this beautiful curtain at a yard sale that is made simular to lace. I laid a piece of blue fabric underneath it and it made it show up so pretty. I thought I might try quilting it and making it into a wall hanging. You might try this. Now, something else that I've seen is starching them really heavy and placing them under glass (like in a picture frame). If the stains are bad and won't come up, Place a dried flower in that area if it is under glass. If not, then applique something over it. Hope this maybe jogged an idea loose for you.
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

If they are white, there is a little box product by ritz dye that takes all color out of clothing that was washed with other clothing and accidently colored. I am pretty sure this will solve the problem of the stains. I use either zout or shout for stains and that works for me, but they aren't set in stains. I keep thinking I read somewhere about removing stains from antique linens, but, for the life of me I can't remember where it was. Maybe google it?

Found it...

http://www.antique-linens.com/laundering.html
    Last edited by RedGarnet222; 12-05-2012 at 05:42 PM.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

I just saw something on tv about removing stains from white cloth. Take a couple of aspirin, dissolve them in a very small amount of water and brush that on the stain. I haven't tried it but the tip came from a woman whose entire house is decorated in white and she lives on a very large horse farm and has children! It may be worth a try.

I have had good luck soaking old quilts (don't see why it wouldn't work for tablecloths) in a washing machine filled with warm water, laundry detergent, and Oxi-Clean (or however you spell it!) Agitate for a few minutes before putting in the fabric, then turn washer off and let it soak overnight. In the morning, turn on washer and let it complete its cycle. This has salvaged some pretty badly stained stuff. Hope it works for you!
    ~( ) Jeri

Seems evident most of us would like to see the cloths stay as is from all the comments. I have had some success with the product BIZ. Follow the directions on the box....basic info is to fill a pail with water and BIZ soak for several days. Change the water and start over. Worth a try.

Also I have seen window treatments made from lace table cloths. Maybe a simple swag at the top of a window.

You could use dye and make them a different color...Procion dyes..that's what I'd do.
    The Potomac Quilter
    Innova 26 with Lightning Stitch and Autopilot

Blog Entries
    I love old table clothes, lace, linen etc. I am always looking for them at Thrift shops.

I am in no way at all affiliated with them, but Amway used to make a product called Amazing White or some such name. I use the last of my supply a couple years ago and cannot recall the name. It worked wonders on natural fibre table linens. It was probably similar to Oxyclean.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

I love old lace, use it in my crazy quilting. You might try 1 part Dawn with 2 parts peroxide in a spray bottle.

Believe it or not, I've also heard of dissolving denture tablets in water and soaking in THAT.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I swagged an old lace tablecloth over a rod above my bedroom window. If the stains on yours are not too large, this might be a good use for a while.

There is a product called Retro Clean too that might help the stains. It's on sale at Fabric Depot right now. http://www.fabricdepot.com/index.php...&pageid=186716

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    I bought a crocheted tablecloth at a yard sale, that had a large stain, for $5. After a soak in Oxyclean, it is now spotless. :-)

Lucky you! Keep them - they are heirlooms.

Be very careful if you decide to cut the tablecloth into smaller pieces. I am thinking that if it was crocheted (Is that a word?), it will unravel if cut. Many tablecloths of that era were crochet. I would try getting the stains out. "Grandma's Stain Remover" works great. I got my bottle at my favorite LQS.
    Sue

Blog Entries
    I love thread crochet items. Mostly because I know the amount of time it takes to make one. A hand crocheted tablecloth or table topper (doiley) is becoming a rare item to find.
    Got fabric?

First try a long soak (2-3 days) in all fabric (non-chlorine) bleach. Gets out a lot of the age-type stains. I use it a lot on antique quilts.

Thanks to all you ladies! I will try to salvage them!

just a few thoughts on the "old" lace tablecloths...........I have a stash of them, along with hand embroidered tablecloths made for me by an dear now departed aunt, doilies crocheted by my mom, hand embroidered dresser scarves from antique stores, along with pillow cases....not to mention my "silverware" and "good china and crystal".....and as I grow older I am beginning to realize
    these "things" will not be treasured by those who have to go thru my stuff......what to do............I still use these things at family gatherings, but will all this be given to "Goodwill", probably so.

Oh, please find a way to clean them. I did see a link in later messages. Then use the clothes for special or even not so special occasions. Much like our quilts, table linens were made to be used. Gentle, loving use will honor the maker and the intent of the makers. What a gift that you have. Heritage is our special connection to our past.
    Last edited by WMUTeach; 12-07-2012 at 05:29 AM. Reason: speling error

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    just a few thoughts on the "old" lace tablecloths...........I have a stash of them, along with hand embroidered tablecloths made for me by an dear now departed aunt, doilies crocheted by my mom, hand embroidered dresser scarves from antique stores, along with pillow cases....not to mention my "silverware" and "good china and crystal".....and as I grow older I am beginning to realize
    these "things" will not be treasured by those who have to go thru my stuff......what to do............I still use these things at family gatherings, but will all this be given to "Goodwill", probably so.
    Same here. I have decided to use some of the doilys as over skirts for the antibellium skirts for umbrella girl blocks for my 3 granddaughters. They will never appreciate all the hand work my mother, grandmother & great grandmother put into these things. My daughter does a "tiny" bit but really isn't interested & she only has boys.
    I also have a beautiful crocheted lace tablecloth my great grandmother made & it's hugh! That will probably end up at the thrift store when I'm gone
    Joyce T, RN retired
    Laughter is the best medicine

I have puchased old lace tablecloths, tea dyed them and made pillows out of them. I sew the lace to a plain tea dyed fabric {pillow size} then decoate the lace top with beading, doilies, small flowers, buttons etc. I also do this with old chinelle bedspreads. I have made many of these for gifts. GodBless
    Dutchgirl

Blog Entries
    Hi, what a lovely find, did she make it.?
    Now my friend who had to make a table cloth all in white did the 10minute block. Then she put lace in differs places. Ie the centre square if you roll the edges back they can cover a small square inside the when you hand or machine round. The final quilt her son said was the best ever made.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DOTTYMO; 12-07-2012 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Forgot picture
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    Hi, what a lovely find, did she make it.?
    Now my friend who had to make a table cloth all in white did the 10minute block. Then she put lace in differs places. Ie the centre square if you roll the edges back they can cover a small square inside the when you hand or machine round. The final quilt her son said was the best ever made.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    For small stubborn stains, I use a mix of asprin (cheap stuff is fine) and a little water. Dab with q-tip on stain. As long as the stain keeps getting lighter, i keep doing it. air dry. It doesn't take long to dry so plan to do repeat several times and you will be amazed at what it can do.
    Sally Dolin
    Rock Island, IL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast