Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Handi Quilter Frame >

Handi Quilter Frame

Handi Quilter Frame

Old 08-09-2010, 05:32 PM

Yes, I definitely hope this thread stays active - I will put it on my watch list for sure. There is very little help out there for us who use these kind of frames. I did have a problem with breaking threads too and found I had the needle thread backwards - Im used to front to back threading on my bernina and was a little thrown with the side to side threading, but once its right, it purrs.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:07 PM

I have owned my Handi Quilter Frame for several years. I tried it, didn't like it, stashed it away and only recently got it out and am trying it again. I have it on a heavy board on top of a heavy folding table and am using my Bernina. I like it except I am trying to quilt from behind the machine since I haven't been able to find handles. I have trouble seeing to follow a pattern. I'm curious ... sounds like someone made handles from PVC? Hints?
Old 09-24-2011, 05:10 PM

Also, hand anyone used "Red Snappers" to attach their quilts to the leaders?
Old 09-25-2011, 07:40 AM

If you use a small throat machine (9 in.) you have to be careful what you use for anchoring your leaders.
Red Snapers,Velcro,etc. are bulky and take up to much space on the take up rod. The other rods work fine with these just not the takup rod.
My table came with plastic tubes that fit into the rods to hold the leaders in place but this is not how I want to attach and undo for every quilt. Right now Im just pinning to the leader since it dosnt take up much space and I dont have to take off the leader.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:49 PM

Smile Newbie at Handiquilter

I purchased a new to me Handiquilter 11 in July and have had clear sailing with it.
I mounted it onto a melamine board, atop two dressers that work great for storage of fabric.
I too am standing at the back of my machine so that I can quilt. In order to allow me to see
what I am doing I
(1) put a mirror the length of the table ( 12X 5 mirrors) that you can pick
up at any discount store walmart etc.

(2)Then I fashioned a stylus from a coat hanger that allows me to trace my pantographs
it is just taped in place as I swing it to the right or left of my machine
so that I can follow what I am doing. I bent the hanger so that it sticks out a few inches from the machine
this allows me to be able to see what I am doing a lot easier instead of being on top of the pattern

(3) I then bought a $1 laser pointer that is small- it was
on a key chain but I secured it to the hanger. Again working great.

Now for the finale. I drew my pantographs ( homemade) on large pieces of acetate- you know the
kind that they used on overheads when we were kids. I place it on the surface and trace it with my
stylus. Because I have mirrors under it, I can see the lines I am tracing as well as the quilting thread.

Boy reading this does sound like I am Mrs. CHEAP doesn't it
Hope it helps!
Old 12-26-2011, 07:47 AM

My DH bought me a Flynn's Multi quilting frame. It sits on a "sturdy, stable" table. I can use my Brother ULT2003D and one sits in front of the three rolls with the frame itself on rollers. So instead of moving the machine, I move the fabric, batting and backing. No need to baste. I only just got it, but from what I've seen, it seems to be easier to move the fabric than the machine.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:24 AM

I have an older Handiquilter carriage system with Handi Handles attached, works for the Brother 1600 machine. Anyone interested in it. Cleaning out the garage of old stuff, not sure what happened to the bars and sides. Free, just pay shipping. Will ship via UPS as that will be the most economical. [ATTACH=CONFIG]304207[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails photo.jpg  
Old 05-19-2012, 05:25 PM

Just wondering if you sold this unit. I have the rails and all but not the carriage. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:10 PM

I also have this carriage and handles (and not using it since I got a new one to work with my machine). Jsut PM me if you might like it -- just for postage.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:13 AM

Can't help you since I hand quilt.