Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Handi Qulter II question >

Handi Qulter II question

Handi Qulter II question

Old 03-11-2010, 11:21 AM

Im looking into buy one of these. I would like to know if anyone has one and how well they work. I was looking at a Grace sturdy lite system also. I cant afford the ones with all the computers an stuff. I just want to know how well these frames work with a regular sewing machine. thank Sharon
Old 03-11-2010, 03:08 PM

I used one before I bought my longarm. It worked fine with my Bernina. I also used the Handi Handles with it to control the speed so I didn't have to use the foot peddle. It worked but was limited by the throat size of my Bernina. If you get one try to quilt slowly for better results. I used it for a short time and then decided I absolutly needed more throat space and went looking for my used Tin Lizzie. I still have my HandiQuilter 2 , I 'm thinking my grandaughter might want it someday.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:17 PM

what is throat space?
Old 03-11-2010, 05:54 PM

Throat space is the area of the sewing machine between the needle and the main body (on the right) of the machine. This area fills up with the quilt roll as you are quilting on a frame. A longarm has 18" or more space to roll the quilt. With a regular or shortarm machine there just isn't enough room to quilt very large quilts or very large quilting designs. I hope this makes sense.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:58 PM

OK This is propbably a stupid question but thought the part of the quilt that wasnt be used was on the floor and you rolled it up as you quilt. And the machine goes back and forth and sidways, so why would it get bunched up? sorry Im new o this.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:15 PM

Basicly the quilt gets rolled into the throat space as you finish quilting one area. The backing/batting/top start at one end of the machine (outside the throat space ) and get rolled as you advance into the throat space. On smaller machines the quilt roll takes up the room and you have less space to move your machine. Here's a picture of my current machine, the horizontal long area, front to back is the throat space (18'on mine). There are youtube videos on quilting that probably would explain all this better than I can.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-6190.jpe  
Old 03-11-2010, 06:29 PM

Ok I understand now. I dont know what I thought but I thought it jsut went thru somehow, I did relizse it rolled up in that area. So when you doing anything big like a king size, it doesnt work that well?
Old 03-11-2010, 06:42 PM

I test drove a frame at the Des Moines Iowa quilt show in October. Didn't have enough money, but Plan on getting one when I go to Paducah.

The machine they had on it was an older Bernina and even tho the throat was smaller, the way the sandwich is loaded in it kinda moved with the machine. If I remember right, I did the are of a 12 inch block with no trouble. that's why i want to try it again at the show before I buy it

I already emailed them and found out where their booth will be. I want a big frame, but i am going to get a tin lizzie as soon as I can. this frame fits on a table and is 450 on the site but I know it was quite a bit cheaper at the show.

I don't know what kind of room or plans you have for the future, but it is different and the people are really nice.
BTW I am NOT affiliated with them in anyway.

www.easyquilter.com
Old 03-11-2010, 06:45 PM

With large quilts the whole quilt gets rolled up into the throat of the machine. ( In the picture of mine the takeup bar is shown going threw the throat space.) On smaller machines the bulk of the rolled up quilt limits your movement. There may only be a few inches (forward to backward) that you can quilt. Side to side movement doesn't change much as you are on rails or tracks of some kind. It is posible to quilt larger (king/queen) size quilts on a smaller machine but it involves quilting half of the quilt then removing the quilt and turning/ reattaching the unquilted portion to the fame to quilt the other half. This is not a fun thing to do. There are probably other ways to do it that I don't know. Don't ever be hesitant to ask questions on this board, we all support and encourage each other and are glad to help clearify. I hope I explained this ok.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:53 PM

Yes this makes me think. I guess Ill have to try one out before I actually buy one. Thank you for your help.