Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Handiquilter Sweet Sixteen >

Handiquilter Sweet Sixteen

Handiquilter Sweet Sixteen

Old 07-08-2020, 06:26 PM

Default Handiquilter Sweet Sixteen

I have an opportunity to buy a used machine through my local dealer. One is an older machine, she says, with the old screen and pod, the other a newer machine. Both come with tables, etc. What does she mean by pod vs screen, etc?
Old 07-08-2020, 06:48 PM
Power Poster

I don’t know about that machine but newer electronics is usually better in case of updates or fixes.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:49 PM
Gay

Not sure about this, but perhaps the pod is an attachment for stitch regulation. Maybe the old one has it attached and the new one has it built in. I'm told the Amara is replacing the Sweet 16 and has the SR built in.
Here's a website you can see what I mean, it has something added on both sides

https://sewingsupplywarehouse.com/qm59111.html
Old 07-08-2020, 06:56 PM

The dealer will tell me more tomorrow. I’m good electronically and don’t mind upgrading and only wants 1K for the older one and 3K for the newer one. Even upgrading the pods, I’m still at around 1600 for the older one. I’m having a tough time getting her to explain the differences. Will get her to photograph both so I know for sure.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:29 PM

Good Luck! For myself I would go with the newer set up as a just in case replacement parts become scarce for the older.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:30 PM

If the pod refers to the stitch regulator, that was a real pain in the backside, imo. It would be worth the extra money to have a built in stitch regulator, if you want/need a stitch regulator. I don't use one and am improving, but I am not a perfectionist when it comes to my FMQ. If you are wanting to be perfect right off the bat, you'll probably want a stitch regulator.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:46 AM

It would all break down to price to me. Of course test drive both and see what she is offering in the way of maintenance and warranty. I might purchase the older machine if, it runs okay. Every time I have tried a machine, I figure out how many quilts it would take till in my mind it was worth the purchase price. So far, I haven't purchased but I do know trade ins can be great deals.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:04 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
I'm told the Amara is replacing the Sweet 16 and has the SR built in.
The Amara is a 20" frame-only machine.

The Capri is the new 18" sit down with stitch regulation built into the table (2 sensors, similar to how Innova did it with their sit down and how Juki does it with the Miyabi). It's a much nicer machine overall and has much less frustrating stitch regulation than the Sweet Sixteen.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:25 AM

You probably won’t go wrong with either machine. Try them both out. The older machine may not have the adaptor that allows you to change feet, but that can be added and is well worth it to be able to use the sure foot, echo feet, couching feet, glide foot and new micro foot. It may not have the electronic readout for the top tension, but that can also be added. There are probably some things on the new one that can't be added to the older one- a built in timer comes to mind And a couple of other things that you may or may not find important like a basting stitch and the built in timer. I donkt have either of those on mine, but can honestly say I haven’t missed them.

I bought my Sweet Sixteen used. It is one of the older ones (pre 2014 I think). The person who owned it before me had it upgraded with an add on electronic tension readout, the shank that allows you to easily change feet, etc. She had only put 600,000 stitches on it. I have since put over 3,000,000 stitches on it and it runs beautifully.

Mine does not have the stitch regulator that they made to go with these, but I tried one out and didn’t like it. I’ve also tried out the stitch regulator that's built into the table on both the HQ Capris and also on the Innova and I didn’t care for those either. I think if you’ve been fmq for any length of time without a stitch regulator, you may find that you don’t like using them for most of your quilting.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 07-09-2020 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by lindawmn View Post
I’m having a tough time getting her to explain the differences.
This is the statement that concerns me the most. It sounds like your dealer doesn't quite understand the machine and it's peripherals. That's a big red flag for troubleshooting and support, IMO.