Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Handle for ruler >

Handle for ruler

Handle for ruler

Old 11-22-2013, 06:38 PM

Thank you ladies for this discussion. I always have problems with my ruler slipping so I believe I'll order a slidelock. I had never heard of it before and it looks like cutting would be a lot safer with it.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:40 PM

I have the Gypsy Grippers, both sizes and haven't enough experience with them yet to advise.

One of our local quilt stores uses them at their cutting table is that is any help.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Some QB members get them at a hardware store instead of the craft store because they are less expensive. I think the hardware ones are for moving window glass?
I bought a gripper at Harbor Freight and do not like/use it. It is so big that it cover the marking line on the ruler making it very hard to cut.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:43 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I only wish they'd make the Slidelock with ruler lines, so you don't need to put it on top of your ruler or next to your ruler. Doesn't that seem to make sense?
Old 11-23-2013, 06:55 AM

If the slidelock was a ruler I would go for it. It seems kind of dumb to have to use a ruler AND the slidelock together (and I never use the mat grid to measure-I have found those are not 100% accurate).

Putting it on top of the ruler would defeat the purpose of using it in the first place.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

It seems kind of dumb to have to use a ruler AND the slidelock together
I bought it for the safety factor and then bought two more because until you use one you won't know how great it holds the ruler to the fabric. It doesn't interfere with the ruler at all. I hope you never experience a bad rotary cut but when you do remember the Slidelock probably could have prevented it.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

That is on my Cmas list. My cousin sliced her hand really bad with rotary cutter. Surgery and 2day stay in hospital and she still debated whether or not to get one. Her kids got her one for her birthday shortly after and she still though it was too much money. At least she uses it.
Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
The Quilters Slidelock is what I use. I use it on top of my ruler and it holds the ruler in place, it isn't going to slip or move. I won't use a rotary cutter without it. I had one bad cut before and it hurt enough I would have gladly paid triple the price of it to stop the pain. There is no excuse anyone can give me not to use a safety device when using a rotary cutter.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

I've seen the ones from the hardware and they are for moving glass. Yes they take up a much larger area. Some things are ok to purchase elsewhere and some just aren't. the savings often aren't that great if you can't use it correctly.
Originally Posted by bigsister63 View Post
I bought a gripper at Harbor Freight and do not like/use it. It is so big that it cover the marking line on the ruler making it very hard to cut.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
That is on my Cmas list. My cousin sliced her hand really bad with rotary cutter. Surgery and 2day stay in hospital and she still debated whether or not to get one. Her kids got her one for her birthday shortly after and she still though it was too much money. At least she uses it.
I know several like her in my guild. One said the day I demoed the Slide lock if you are careful and pay attention to what you are doing you won't get cut and it was foolish to spend that much money. Yep, later in the year she sliced her finger to the bone and hurt for a long time plus medical bills after her insurance paid their part. She had a hard time getting back to using a rotary cutter again because of the fear of another cut.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

I bought one at Walgreens not advertised for quilting but it works great for $10!! I think it is intended as a handle for getting out of the shower