Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Handquilting in circles.  Is there an easy way? >

Handquilting in circles. Is there an easy way?

Handquilting in circles. Is there an easy way?

Old 09-06-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
Maybe a floor frame that turns & swivels would make it easier?? I thought feathers would be pretty hard, too, but nothing like this top-spinning pattern I'm doing now!
My floor hoop swivels but there's still all the bulk of the hanging quilt to contend with. That's where all my wrestling comes in. Plus, it rests at an angle, so everytime it gets swiveled the angle has to be readjusted, too.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:43 PM

Now I sure am thinking what the heck did I get myself into??? Unfortunately, DD loves this pattern. It will be a continuous line, and continue round and round (and round). :roll:

back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]252582[/ATTACH]

front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]252583[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-252576.jpe   attachment-252577.jpe  
Old 09-06-2011, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
Well, I'm assuming it's your pointy finger (I DO have small kids!). LOL
Nice try...don't think its correct though! LOL
OMG I think she's right. I googled it too, and added "quilting" to my search phrase. Found quite a few blogs that talked about quilting with your peter pointer, and then I found a nursery rhyme that named all the fingers. Peter pointer, Ruby ring, Tony Tall (aka the bird).... I had never heard of this! Must be a regional thing, Kitsie. You were hoping it was some awesome new notion, weren't you? :lol: Me too!!
Old 09-09-2011, 06:57 AM

Just wanted to say I've been working on my circles most of the week, and my technique has been go around to the top, come back around to the bottom, using thumb to go up and pointy finger to come down (figured I'd just quilt across the blocks). No more swinging the entire quilt around and around, and it really seems much easier, dare I say that I'm actually enjoying the process. I think the circles will really look cool with the bright colors & sharp edges of the pattern. It will probably take me 6 months to quilt it, but that's OK. Still love the feel of a quilt that has been handquilted. :) AND, if I find this quilt on the floor after I give it to my daughter, I think I may strangle her. ha ha
Attached Thumbnails attachment-253741.jpe   attachment-253742.jpe  
Old 09-09-2011, 07:04 AM

Just wanted to say I've been working on my circles most of the week, and my technique has been go around to the top, come back around to the bottom, using thumb to go up and pointy finger to come down (figured I'd just quilt across the blocks). No more swinging the entire quilt around and around, and it really seems much easier, dare I say that I'm actually enjoying the process. I think the circles will really look cool with the bright colors & sharp edges of the pattern. It will probably take me 6 months to quilt it, but that's OK. Still love the feel of a quilt that has been handquilted. :) AND, if I find this quilt on the floor after I give it to my daughter, I think I may strangle her. ha ha
I think it will be worth it! It's lovely so far. :)
Old 09-09-2011, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by TheSevenYearStitch
I hand-quilted a good deal of my Pumpkin Patch quilt with a pumpkin seed stencil, aka continuous circles. Whenever I see that pattern now, my blood pressure goes up. Circles are the bane of the hand-quilter.
I have found this out the hard way... I had shared earlier (several weeks ago) that I was going to hand-quilt my son's quilt ... my concern was that it was scrappy with lots of seams (like a log cabin)... I'll have to become a better quilter before I can tackle this whole quilt... I've been too shy to admit giving up on that quilt... not giving up on hand-quilting though.. Now I'm tackling DH's quilt... NO circles!!!
:lol:
Old 09-09-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by running1
Originally Posted by TheSevenYearStitch
I hand-quilted a good deal of my Pumpkin Patch quilt with a pumpkin seed stencil, aka continuous circles. Whenever I see that pattern now, my blood pressure goes up. Circles are the bane of the hand-quilter.
I have found this out the hard way... I had shared earlier (several weeks ago) that I was going to hand-quilt my son's quilt ... my concern was that it was scrappy with lots of seams (like a log cabin)... I'll have to become a better quilter before I can tackle this whole quilt... I've been too shy to admit giving up on that quilt... not giving up on hand-quilting though.. Now I'm tackling DH's quilt... NO circles!!!
:lol:
Ahhh, don't give up on circles! The seams ARE a bit of a pain, but I've been just stab stitching when I get to them. I almost bailed on this quilt, but decided not to bother myself with a 'goal' and just enjoy the process. You'll only get to be a better quilter if you jump in with both feet, right? :thumbup: