Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Handquilting hoop

Handquilting hoop

Although I prefer to machine quilt I do like the tranquility of handquilting.......I have a PVC floor frame now but recently went to a demo at a quilt show where the presenter had a Hinterberg floor hoop and I really think I would like to invest. Seems to take up a bit less room and I can move it easier if I have to.....just thinking....anyway do any of you have one, know someone who has,how do they/you like it? I am checking prices and amazon seems to be the best......TIA for info

Blog Entries
    I don't have one, but if I were to get one with a smaller hoop (18" I think) rather than the too large. I have read that it can be difficult to reach across a larger hoop.

I used to have a PVC floor frame, but it bothered my back. The lap hoop I have now is no longer made, but you might want to consider the Grace lap hoop also. With a lap hoop, both hands are free. The good ones -- such as mine and the Grace -- allow fast, easy adjustment of tilt and minimize obstruction to the underneath hand.

The major difference I see between a lap hoop and a floor hoop is that the floor hoop keeps the quilt off your lap. This is a big advantage if you are quilting during the summer without air conditioning.

Blog Entries
    check out laptophoops.com The hoops are made by Harry Barnette... they are very nice and can be used with or without the floor frame. His hoops come in various sizes, too. I love my 14" hoop and floor stand...
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

Blog Entries
    I have the Hinterberg...large one and I love it. I can get it right up close to where I sit and because it is larger, I don't have to reposition quilt so often. You do not need to "reach" across the quilt, since you can reposition it in almost any angle you want. Highly recommend.
    The expert's mind has no room to learn while the beginner's mind is free to know everything....

Blog Entries
    I have one but have never used it. Bummer you do not live closer. I am debating on selling it.

I sold mine, could not get used to it. I use a 14 inch hoop and set to the table with the quilt resting on the table to hand quilt. Thats way it does not hurt my back etc.

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
    I have one but have never used it. Bummer you do not live closer. I am debating on selling it.
    Don't know where you are compared to me (Illinois)----pm me

I have the Hinterberg lap hoop and love it. Easy to use, quality construction.

I have an older Hinterberg floor hoop, large size. I used it to quilt several quilts some time ago and really liked it because the hoop turns and tilts to get the section I'm quilting closer to me. I found I needed to sit in an upright chair, like a dining room chair, to be the right height and posture. I liked that it supported the quilt well. I left it up in the family room when in use, ready to go, as a reminder to get to work! As in anything new, there is an adjustment period, learning what works and what doesn't. These days, I am quilting with a hoop in my lap in the recliner, which is more comfy, but my quilting technique is better and stitches look better on the floor frame. Hey, maybe I should get that baby out and finish up my current project on it! Hope you enjoy your hand quilting, whatever you decide. It is very relaxing and centering.

Blog Entries
    I bought a large Hinterberg floor hoop at a garage sale 2 years ago. It is great, and it keeps the quilt off my lap.

Blog Entries
    I use a 19 inch oval lap hoop. That way, I can kick back in my recliner and work. However, in the summer, even with air conditioning, it sometimes gets hot under there. That is when I usually take a break and then go back to it.
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook at Leesa's Fabrics

I've tried the PVC frame, the frame on a stand and an embroidery frame. None seem to work for me so I just keep the quilt in my lap and quilt without a frame. It means a lot of pinning but it works for me--is less frustrating than trying to manipulate a frame. Just finished hand quilting a queen size for my DD to give to her MIL for Christmas. She was extremely pleased with the way the quilt looked when I gave it back to her for the binding. Saw some tutes on the internet that helped me decide to do away with all frames.