Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Handquilting pattern?

Question Handquilting pattern?

Hi! I just finished this quilt top for a sweet baby girl. I usually hand quilt diagonal lines to form Xs in the squares. Thought I would do something different this time. Any ideas for something easy and pleasing to the eye? Thanks so much!

Rachel
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cute quilt. You could do a heart shape or Xs and Os for hugs and kisses.

Always be kind.

How about the outline of a kitten or puppy? You could find kids coloring pages online and make them whatever size that you like, and just put them all over the top.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Power Poster
    Cute top! I might do my favourite machine quilting pattern for squares, continuous Orange peel. It can be done without stopping which is why I like it for machine quilting but it would also be a benefit in hand quilting. When finished, the squares look like you quilted circles across the top.

Blog Entries
    how about feather wreaths? you can do them over several blocks
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I'd be tempted to quilt a diamond in each square, drawing lines from the middle of each side of the square - kinda like a square in a square... I love rope patterns for borders.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I'm just anxious to see when finished.

Pretty quilt! I love quilting the paisley, or teardrop shape.

Do you know the baby's name? If so, how about the letters of the names in the squares and maybe hearts , diamonds etc. in the other squares.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Cute top! I might do my favourite machine quilting pattern for squares, continuous Orange peel. It can be done without stopping which is why I like it for machine quilting but it would also be a benefit in hand quilting. When finished, the squares look like you quilted circles across the top.
    This is what I was thinking as well
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D, Juki MO-2000QVP

How about a simple daisy flower.

How much detail do you want to quilt. How much time do you want to take to quilt it. How special is the quilt. Do you want to make it heirloom or utility. How skilled are you at quilting. Will you hand quilt or machine quilt. There is much info needed to give useful suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilt30 View Post
    How much detail do you want to quilt. How much time do you want to take to quilt it. How special is the quilt. Do you want to make it heirloom or utility. How skilled are you at quilting. Will you hand quilt or machine quilt. There is much info needed to give useful suggestions.
    She said she was hand quilting it.... In fact the title for this post is "handquilting".
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 17 Album of Blocks I Made for Others http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19654.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Maybe diagonal lines through the brown/cream squares forming x's like you usually do, then quilt a heart in each pink square?

I really like your quilt! It's amazing how good fabric selection and layout can make even a simple pattern special. Whoever receives this will be a very lucky baby.

Blog Entries
    I agree with jennifer23 on the quilting pattern. Unless she has a dog or a cat. then you could do dogs, bones, cats mice. easy to see animals for her to learn the names to. Or do Lucky Charms.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilt30 View Post
    How much detail do you want to quilt. How much time do you want to take to quilt it. How special is the quilt. Do you want to make it heirloom or utility. How skilled are you at quilting. There is much info needed to give useful suggestions.
    I corrected my oversite. However I believe the other questions are valid.

I also hand quilt and I usually did the circles, etc but decided I wanted something else. Found LOTS of hand quilting stencils on quiltingcreations.com. I've found several I want to buy and will do that soon. Am sure you will find something that catches your eye on that website.

Thanks everyone for your advice, suggestions, and links. I work more than full time so it took me a few days to get back to you. I have been quilting for years...but somehow still feel like a novice. I almost always hand quilt. I have tried machine quilting but just cannot get the hang of it (other than straight lines) - plus I love the weight of the quilt in my lap while quilting.

This quilt is for a baby of a woman I babysat for thirty plus years ago. I've had a lot going on the past several years and wanted to make quilts for their babies and I just got caught up - even though their children are a few years old now. I just want them all to have something handmade by me. This baby will likely be an only child and arrived after a miscarriage...so the quilt is extra special. The baby is already two months old and I have to work in what little spare time I have. I found these stencils going through my box and think I will use them. One flower in each square and maybe the little flower stencil on the border. I will be sure to post when I am done. I will attach the stencil and the other baby quilts I just finished. Thank goodness for charm packs because I am terrible selecting colors and patterns. : )

Thanks again for all your help!!

Rachel

PS...the little quilt with the deer was machine quilted...though the binding was handstitched on. The other two quilts were hand quilted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What do you prefer to use to mark your tops?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
    What do you prefer to use to mark your tops?
    Thanks.
    I use a blue quilting marker that I get at my LQS. I keep an old toothbrush and a little cup of water nearby and erase as I finish as each stencil that I've marked.