Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Handquilting

Handquilting

Iím doing a lot of Handquilting and loving it!
    Iím wondering what tools everyone else has and what you use to keep them handy?
    I have:
    A felted wool zippered bag
    Needles, large eye
    Threads
    Thimbles, TJ
    Scissors
    Thread wax
    Hand lotion
    Very small pliers.
    How about you?

Needles, thread, scissors, thimble. And a good light.
    Alyce

I have a lap hoop that fits nicely in a tote I got at Joann's. I keep the thread I'm currently using in one pocket, and an old, hard-sided eyeglass case that contains: folding scissors, needles, thimbles (one is a little larger than the other, for when my hands are swollen), and an "Aunt Betty". It makes baby quilts very portable. I'll need to get a larger bag when I quilt something larger.
    If your dreams don't scare you, they aren't big enough!

The nice thing about hand quilting is that you need very little equipment. My thimble is actually my most-needed item.

I have essentially what you do plus the good light. I have a small zippered pouch that I keep most of those items. I also have mechanical pencils (regular #2 and a Bohin white) for marking and everything except the hand lotion will fit in the pouch making it very portable.

I use one of those boxes that new checks come in. About the right size for all kinds of those little tools. Add a magnetic "pin cushion" that extra needles don't get away from me.

I use a hoop and a leather thimble (the only one that works for me), quilting thread, wax, small needles. I think that's it.
    Oh- and good lighting. I have an Ott lite floor lamp that I use.

I have needle, needle threader, scissors, thread, thimble, plastic hoop. Sometimes I don't use the hoop. Oh yes, an Ott light. That is really important. So simple and easy.

A good light, betweens, scissors, hand quilting thread, thread conditioner, and a couple of thimbles.

hmmmm ............ hand quilting, I have a Grace EZ3 floor frame, a lap hoop, 3 pairs of my favorite scissors (lol), pliers, Thread heaven, quilting betweens, and lots of quilting thread.
    We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves. Buddha

Blog Entries
    thimble and Aunt BECKYS finger protected.... you tube video on it
    Be kind today......

The suggestions given are great. In addition, I couldn’t get along without a needle grabber—a small round of textured rubber to grab the needle when it becomes too difficult to push through the fabric. They are sold in quilt shops and online.

pal
    I use a balloon as a needle grabber, self-stick finger protectors, about 10 needles with the thread going through all of them (all ready to go) in their own mini pin cushion, a small needle threader, wax, thread and scissors.
    PACE - Positive Attitude Changes Everything

"All things are literally better, lovlier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."

I no longer hand quilt. I am trying to use up some of the many yards of fabric I have.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Needles, thread, scissors, thimble, hoop, bees wax, and a place to sit next to my sliding glass door for light.
    Penny

I use a flat tweezer to grab my needle. Don't know what I'd do if I ever lost it!

What everyone else said....and I keep it all in a fishing tackle box. I call it my kit.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    I keep the thread, needles, thimble, and scissors handy...but right beside my Harry Barnett Laptop hoop and floor stand and a good light.... I'm just glad so many are hand quilting! (I need more time in every day!)
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

I could not quilt without my thimble! I am a long-time, proud owner of a custom made thimble by Tommy Lane. It is wonderful, with a cut out for my fingernail. I use it always.

I use YLI glazed cotton thread for quilting. No need for Thread Heaven, beeswax, etc. Dritz comfortable thimble(green) thread snips for cutting thread, and Jeana Kimble Foxglove Cottage needs.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

All of the above, except for the balloons to pull the needle. I found a product called Quilter's Tips that last a lot longer and are much more comfortable. I wear one on my index finger and a thimble on my middle finger while hand quilting.