Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Be Happy you have a good stash.

Blog Entries

Be Happy you have a good stash.

Dharma sent me an email that the 10% tariff on Chinese textiles started today. It also mentioned the possibility of it going to 25% in January...but talks are in the works.

**************Please No political comments***************

....just letting you know to be aware of price rises in the textile industry.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-20-2018 at 02:44 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Wow, I will count my blessings..I do have a stash of good quality fabric. I just hope I don't have to buy very many to complete a project.

You are so right. I have been shopping my stash for the last 5 years -- fabric has gotten quite expensive without the tariff. I was blessed to buy fabric I liked when I had an income so now I have a bunch.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    thankfully many batiks come from Pakistan and Japan produces many fabrics too--but a 25% increase is a real hit on the bank account.

Here in the UK fabrics are already at least 1/3 higher than US so looks like we may end up more in line! That’s why our stash’s aren’t as big lol

Banned
    And I've been worrying that I have way too much stash!! Lucky me!!

Maybe, just maybe, our textile industry will be revived!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
    Wouldn’t that be a dream come true?
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Fabric is the one thing I don't think I'll ever run out of

I had a feeling. A while ago Joanne Fabric sent an email petition to sign regarding the tariffs so you know they are Very concerned.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-20-2018 at 01:30 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps

If you need 108" backing fabric, now is the time to buy. Prices will go up, and, as we all know, rarely go down.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-20-2018 at 01:31 PM. Reason: remove politics
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

I don't have a stash but I have four big containers of scraps. So I guess I'm set for a long time.
    Alyce

I have a bunch of fabric and just bought some colors I had already used. Now I will have enough, just need to live another 2-3 years so I can use it all.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

actually rather frustrating cause I'm actually working very hard on using up 80 percent of my stash and switching to project based fabric buying. my tastes change too much to maintain the large stash anymore.

Blog Entries
    I hope so too!
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Its such a trickle down thing. I have a large stash and didn't really appreciate it that much until this past winter. With all the rising prices of fabrics in the past and future, have a new mind set of using it up, making do/substituting, gifting or trading with others. Do feel bad for the small brick and mortar stores trying to keep their heads above water. At $15 or more per yard currently, I'd have to find a new pastime.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    I have a bunch of fabric and just bought some colors I had already used. Now I will have enough, just need to live another 2-3 years so I can use it all.
    Sorry, I meant 200-300 years.
    Another Phyllis

Since fabrics have been steadily rising something besides tariffs must be causing it.
    Another Phyllis

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
    I hope so too!
    I tried to find a list of NA textile manufactures, but only found articles about the NA garment industry in general....not specific manufacturers for quilting cotton.

I know there was one that was US comapny producing cotton solids, but I cannot remember the name. I've heard there are other small companies in the process of setting up shop.

Can anyone help here?

Once we have that information we can begin to diligently support the manufacturers by contacting them with our needs and support and by requesting shop owners (local and online) to supply these fabrics.
    Last edited by thrums; 09-20-2018 at 05:11 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Austinite View Post
    actually rather frustrating cause I'm actually working very hard on using up 80 percent of my stash and switching to project based fabric buying. my tastes change too much to maintain the large stash anymore.
    A little off topic, but I thought I'd share......

I was at a guild meeting the other day where a new quilt was displayed from using a dated stash. The quilter was very adept at fabric placement. Some pieces were used on a smaller scale to help hide the fact they were dated. After the event we had a fabric exchange of pieces we "just had to have" at one time, but our tastes had changed. I found a few pieces I could use.

There were also suggestions to use the fabrics for learning new techniques and making donation quilts.

I have started using my stash up that is the oldest. Many calicos in mostly floral prints. Many are fat quarters and less in size. I have bought three new style patterns that I think will work great with this type of stash busting. I think as you look at your stash in the new way, it becomes fun to work with. The only fabric I will have to buy is the backgrounds for three of them and of course the backings.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Blog Entries
    I have a stash that will last me two lifetimes. Matter of fact Iíve got to edit it down.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

That would be awesome! More jobs!
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    Since fabrics have been steadily rising something besides tariffs must be causing it.
    That's a good point, Phyllis. I remember when I had to really think before paying $10 a yard for fabric. Now that's more the norm when I'm fabric shopping.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
    That's a good point, Phyllis. I remember when I had to really think before paying $10 a yard for fabric. Now that's more the norm when I'm fabric shopping.
    Even when I arrived in the USA, about 10 years ago, I remember walking into a local quilting store and the fabric was $8 per yard. Last year I went into the same store, after not being in for three years, and they are now pricing the average bolt at $15 per yard. Yikes!
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast