Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight rotary blades - Opinions Differ

Blog Entries

Harbor Freight rotary blades - Opinions Differ

I read a thread back a few months ago regarding the H.F. 45mm blades and thought I'd give them a try. The first one seamed to work fine (had to use the one between the first blade and cardboard because the plastic was stuck to the first blade). Well went to use the other blade and couldn't get it off the plastic. Opened up four more pkgs and the plastic was stuck to the top blade in all of them. Sprayed all of them with WD40 to remove the sticky plastic and thought I was in the clear. I tried three more blades before I found one that would cut. Also after using these blades my cutting mat is showing wear (mat is 4 months old). I know these blades are cheap but for me I can't justify the cost of my mat and sanity (OK I know that's already questionable).
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Sadly, I have to agree with you. The thought of cheap is great but there definitely is a price in terms of time and aggravation using things that just don't work for what you need.

Banned
    previous postings on this subject have given these blades good reports. I have found them to be very satisfactory.
    Also....there was a posting about unsatisfactory blades and the company replaced them.

Blog Entries
    What I have learned is, if I first buy the best quality of any item, then using the less quality of it, I quickly find why the better quality does cost more.

I upgraded to the titanium rotary blades and will never want to go back to regular rotary blades.
    Got fabric?

I never did buy into the whole HF blade thing. They're meant for carpet and not meant to be used on a cutting mat either. I suspect they're not manufactured to the same standards as say Fiskars, Olfa or Gingher blades are.

I agree completely about them tearing up your mats. Those mats are expensive!
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Blog Entries
    The first time I tried HF blades they were great. Just bought my second lot (same syore). These were already re-sharpened blades & were awful. I just ordered a 10 pkg. of Friskers on Ebay for 19.99, they had 10 pkg. of Olfa for 23.99.
    True4uca

I will never order them again either!

you should use the right tool for the project. those blades are not meant for fabric. period!
    Donna

I ordered 100 blades from JHittle when they were on sale for about $140 or so...so far, so good. They seem to be sharp and last a fair amount of time...give them a try.
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

I use HF blades all the time and do not have problem with them. They seem to last just along as the more costly blades as long as I am careful with them such as not trying to cut my ruler

I am happy with the HF blades. I keep waiting to have a problem. Maybe in the next package

I like them, no problems! If I did have issues Harbor Freight has no issues replacing them! Gives me another reason to have to go there

I agree 100%. After many packages and trying again and again, I gave up. I still have many left.
    I find it hard to believe that these cut carpet. As far as mine went, they would not cut butter.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    What I have learned is, if I first buy the best quality of any item, then using the less quality of it, I quickly find why the better quality does cost more.

I upgraded to the titanium rotary blades and will never want to go back to regular rotary blades.
    The titanium rotary blades seem to last forever.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

I, too, have had nothing but problems with the HP blades. I've gone back to buying the Fiskar blades at Walmart. I haven't tried any titanium blades yet.

Jim
    I'll keep using the Harbor Freight Blades and save my extra money from the savings for more fabric..I've had only one problem with them and it was my fault...so it wasnt the blades after all...I see no reason to use the more expensive blades unless I have to...sorry you are having problems with them
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by nannyrick.com View Post
    I agree 100%. After many packages and trying again and again, I gave up. I still have many left.
    I find it hard to believe that these cut carpet. As far as mine went, they would not cut butter.
    I am with you. I had my girlfriend pick me up some. Big mistake. I have tried two of them and neither cut a darn thing. Not doing that again!

Fabricdepot.com just had an on-line sale, blades for 1/2 price. A 5 pack of Olfa 45mm at $17.00, not sure if it is still on. But I believe a 30% sale off everything is on. Check it out.

Appreciate hearing both sides of the blade issue.
    Charlie DiSante

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    I am happy with the HF blades. I keep waiting to have a problem. Maybe in the next package
    I am on my 4th pack of HF blades....no problems, and just as good an edge as the others. I don't see what you mean about cutting up the mat....if you are pressing too hard with any blade you are going to cut your mat. HF will replace anything that isn't right...take those blades back and exchange or get a refund. They are good for their word!! My DH and I buy stuff from HF all the time, and their customer service is really good.

I have had repeated orders with HF as well as Hittle. I find both quite good and have never had a problem with the HF ones. In fact, I sometimes think they hold their edge a little longer. Maybe you got a bad batch. I bet they would make it right with you - just let them know.

I cannot believe that all these people COMPLAIN but do nothing about getting a refund or replacement.
    Harbor Freight is like any other business...they want satisfied customers.
    quite frankly, I get tired of reading the complaints. and seeing no one do anything.
    if you are not going to give Harbor Freight a chance to make it right , STOP complaining!
    June in Cincinnati

I tried them after reading the suggestions, and thinking "what a deal!" they were terrible. They wouldn't cut through one layer of fabric, and I did not like cleaning the oil off them. I saw a post here that they are not meant for quilts, that is true, but I wonder what they should be good for. If they can't cut through a thin layer of fabric they certainly cannot cut through a rug, or vinyl, or whatever.
    :-)
    CAS

I've been using the H F blades for over a year and have never had a problem with them. They are sharp and I use way less pressure on the cutter when using them. Have noticed no difference in the mat. Is it possible that to much pressure is being used when cutting? Several friends use them all the time and so far no one has had any defective blades. I do use the Martelli cutter, that requires a round center hole in the blade maybe that makes a difference in how they perform.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast