Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
harbor freight rotary blades >

harbor freight rotary blades

harbor freight rotary blades

Old 04-05-2011, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by kai's Tutu
are these blades long and square or is they are rotary blades didn't see anything like that are they called carpet knife blades the brand is gordon in a plastic dispenser
There are a couple types of carpet cutters. The one I bought was school bus yellow with one blade in the cutter and a couple extras, for 2.99 if I remember.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by gale
Maybe if harbor freight was local for me I'd be more willing to keep trying but it's an hour away and not anywhere near any shops that I usually go to.
I order mine on the computer - harborfreight.com - for $1.49/pkg of 2 blades.
Since shipping is a bit high, I ordered 10 pkg for same shipping rate as if I had ordered 1 pkg, & its still less than local blades @ JoAnn's or LQS.
They fit my 45 rotary cutter. I like the blades & don't feel badly tossing them if they get dull.
montanajan
Old 04-06-2011, 04:17 AM

At my store they are 2 blades in a little plastic bag sort of taped over with a hole on the top to stick on a rack. Once I found one that had a cardboard label.

It's really easy to overlook and some stores don't get them in often. Or get very many when they do come in. I'd call to make sure they had some before making a trip if it's a special trip. I just stop by when I'm at the grocery store next door.

I've been thinking about buying the actual carpet cutter and just throwing away the yellow plastic thing. But that seems so wasteful...but hey $3 for 3 blades, not really in the whole scheme of things.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:58 AM

what is the brand name
Old 04-06-2011, 06:39 AM

I have used the harbor freight, sometimes they cut really good, other times not. I was wondering if there's a correct way to cut with a rotary ? blade on angle or straight up??which might make a diffrence in the way it cuts.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:49 PM

Been using them for a while & have no problems
Old 04-06-2011, 07:18 PM

I think always the rotary cutter should be held straight up & down, not at an angle when cutting. You get a cleaner cut that way. And when cutting several layers at once, if you cut at an angle, probably the pieces won't be precisely the same size.
Perhaps some blades might not be as sharp as others. The package says these are made in China, if that makes any difference. I just got my HF blades & the first one is great! Really sharp & cuts cleanly. Just what I want.
mloquilts
Old 04-08-2011, 10:04 AM

I'm using the Harbor Freight blades too. they are lasting me as long as the olfa blades. I have been cutting my batting as well as fabric with them. If they get to skipping after cutting batting or paper, just run them through some folded up aluminum foil a few times and it will cut just as good as new again.

Good Luck

Suzy
Old 04-08-2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Suzy
I'm using the Harbor Freight blades too. they are lasting me as long as the olfa blades. I have been cutting my batting as well as fabric with them. If they get to skipping after cutting batting or paper, just run them through some folded up aluminum foil a few times and it will cut just as good as new again.

Good Luck

Suzy
Wow Suzy, what a great suggestion! I learn something new each day from this board.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:17 PM

I've read that they work in an Olfa rotary cutter but will they work in the blue Dritz rotary cutter?