Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hardware store score

Blog Entries

Hardware store score

Went to Lowe's today and found a 6 foot aluminum ruler for $11. I usually square up the corners of my quilts, then connect the squared sections. My 3' ruler isn't long enough Sometimes I use my husband's 4' drywall ruler, but it has the thing on the end to keep it square. This will be perfect. Don't think I will use it to cut, just mark.
    OOh, I can also use it to mark long borders!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    Go to harbor freight, you can get both kinds much cheaper.

Power Poster
    Ooooh, sounds like one thing I need. I use my husbands carpentry square sometimes but it is darn heavy.

lol-I have a 4 ft t-square--use it more for quilts than anything else
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

anyone tried the laser markers-perhaps i could get hubby one for his birthday!![joking]

Quote Originally Posted by jemma View Post
    anyone tried the laser markers-perhaps i could get hubby one for his birthday!![joking]
    mmm-naughty but nice idea

Annie

Blog Entries
    I bought a folding ruler some years ago made for squaring up a quilt top. I haven 't seen this ruler on the market for years. I may have loaned it out because I haven't seen it in my sewing room now that I think about it. I remember it was being demoed at Paducah quilt show at the time. Anyone know about it or have one?
    Got fabric?

I'll have to check out the 6 ft ruler. There have been lots of times I could have used 1 that long. I wonder if my dh has 1 in his shop. LOL.

I've thought about this too. May have to take a trip to the hardware store.

Quote Originally Posted by jemma View Post

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I bought a folding ruler some years ago made for squaring up a quilt top. I haven 't seen this ruler on the market for years. I may have loaned it out because I haven't seen it in my sewing room now that I think about it. I remember it was being demoed at Paducah quilt show at the time. Anyone know about it or have one?
    I bought one of those at Paducah a few years ago too. I do use mine. It is made by Salem rulers and when folded closed you can miter borders.

I have two heavy duty metal rulers (they're yellow) from Lowe's...one is four feet and the other is six feet. They are great for marking the batting for cutting, etc. I also use them for weighing the quilt tops down while rolling them up on the quilting frame. The ruler keeps the fabric nice and taut. Love them!

Don't have a 6 foot but I use my aluminum 5 foot all the time. I thought all ladies had one, LOL I've used it for hanging wall paper, all kinds of crafts, sewinf, quilting, upholstery. Anything you need to measure BIG!!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    My DH gets so upset and tells me just to go to the hardware store when I start looking through "his tools" for items for my sewing room. So what I will do is find an old used one (so I don't have to break it in) and buy him a new one. LOL Just like the Awl, and a few other things I have ummm "procured". LOL
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt