Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone been crazy enough to rip out machine quilting stitches? >

Has anyone been crazy enough to rip out machine quilting stitches?

Has anyone been crazy enough to rip out machine quilting stitches?

Old 12-01-2010, 11:34 AM

Yes, Blinky I have done it a few times --work that is worth it anyway.
Not my favorite but sometimes necessary if you want to put it in a show.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:12 PM

Oh yes, I've done it and it is not fun.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 12-01-2010, 12:19 PM

I did it once and will never do it again. Took months.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by needlefruit
Several posts recently mention poor quality longarm quilting. I am a "longarmer," so I can say this: I would NEVER EVEN THINK of delivering a quilt with 'eyelashes,' pleats, or any other such atrocity! First, if a longarmer mounts the quilt correctly and tension is adjusted properly, those mishaps are rare. When they do happen, there is only one thing to do, and that is rip out and fix. Time consuming? Pain? You bet! I charge more than other longarmers in my area, and I refuse quilt tops that are too sloppily pieced. My best customers are those who've had a 'nightmare' quilting job done on a quality pieced top by a sloppy longarmer! They are more than happy to pay my higher rate. There are lots of 'it's ok if you can't see it from town' type piecers AND longarmers. They need/deserve each other. Quilt snob? Too picky? Maybe so, but I have happy customers who appreciate my snobbish, picky ways, and I'd happily sign anything I quilt. My suggestion is that you ask to see a longarmer's work before turning him/her loose on your quality pieced top!
Needlefruit, I am with you on this one. I must be a quilt snob too, but my reputation as the pickiest quilter in town hasn't hurt my business any. I figure that a quilt is a collaboration - and machine quilting should enhance the quilt, not take over or ruin the quilt. Any mistake on the quilt is a free quilt. I can't bear to quilt over applique - it should be outlined with a few defining stitches within the applique. If I could not live with it, the quilt doesn't go out the door--most of my business is from word of mouth. So yes, I pick out the stitches.

I once quilted a king size quilt, and when I rolled it down, discovered that my bobbin tension was off and had made about a billion knots on the back. It was at the time that my triplet daughters were learning to drive, and between the three of them, they needed 120 hours behind the wheel with an adult chaperone. I told them to get in the car, because we were going on a drive. To Wyoming.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:48 PM

Your top is Beautiful, If your not happy with it do what you need. Good Luck

Have a friendship w/my ripper, somedays more so than the machine :shock: :-D
Old 12-02-2010, 02:36 AM

yes I have ripped out before, and would again if needed.

Sorry you had to go through this. Was this the first one that you have had done by this person?

Maybe send a smaller one out to a quilter then see what you get bcak before sending out a nice one or one I am saying with a lot of work into it.

ConnieF
Old 12-02-2010, 02:43 AM

Oh and I'd like to add do your own binding and tell the quiter to NOT trim the outside PLEASE.
I walked into a shop and a lady walked in behind me that had a lady quilt her quilt. She looked and said where are the extra backing? Why was it trimmed and the quilter said she always does that and I comented I wouldnt of wanted mine removed either. I stitch the binding then I trim the batting backing to the binding... I knew she was not happy and as you if there had been a problem she is stuck. You allways need the backing and batting bigger than the top.
Again Good luck with it, and I hope you like it when it is done.
ConnieF
Old 12-02-2010, 04:43 AM

I have done it, and it did take some time but in the end I was happy I did. I say take your time and JUST DO IT :lol:
Old 12-02-2010, 04:51 AM

not one of my favorite things to do, but I have ripped out machine quilting, and have been glad once the job is over and it is requilted and it looks so much better...if you aren't happy with it as it is, then ripping it is....frustrating though isn't it that the quilter didn't do such a great job at it in the first place.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:01 AM

Blinky,

Your quilt is absolutely gorgeous! And, I must admit to all that I've ripped out my own LAQ! And I didn't have enough sense to take it off the frame - I sat on the floor - UNDER it - and ripped. Kinda hard on the neck! :thumbdown: Won't do again - next time (and I'm sure there will be!) I'll take it off, and rip like crazy while watching TV!

Please let us know what you do.