Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Has anyone been crazy enough to rip out machine quilting stitches? >
  • Has anyone been crazy enough to rip out machine quilting stitches?

• Has anyone been crazy enough to rip out machine quilting stitches?

Old 11-29-2010, 07:50 AM

@Blinky---my kind of person!!!
    Old 11-29-2010, 07:57 AM

first, as a longarm quilter, I check the quilting as I quilt....I wouldn't quilt the entire thing and then decide whether it was done correctly or not. I check at each roll front and back. Fix it then and the finish will be A+. I do like perfection.....on my own work, as well as others. I would never let a quilt go home with half a__ work done. But I also love a nicely pieced/appliqued top as well.
    Old 11-29-2010, 08:25 AM

oh for sure I would take it out! I had queen size MLA for me, got it back and I just sat down and had a good cry! It was was so twisted the corners came out 3 inch's up the side. I trimed as best I could and put the binding on, was never happy with it so took the binding off and took out the manchine quilting. Found out the batting and backing fabric were really bad quality so tossed them both out, sent it to my sister and she re-did it for me. Oh what a differance! Now I can even use it. I say go for it, rip, rip, rip!
    Old 11-29-2010, 08:25 AM

oh for sure I would take it out! I had queen size MLA for me, got it back and I just sat down and had a good cry! It was was so twisted the corners came out 3 inch's up the side. I trimed as best I could and put the binding on, was never happy with it so took the binding off and took out the manchine quilting. Found out the batting and backing fabric were really bad quality so tossed them both out, sent it to my sister and she re-did it for me. Oh what a differance! Now I can even use it. I say go for it, rip, rip, rip!
    Old 11-29-2010, 08:56 AM

Definitely rip out bad quilting! I took three quilts in to be quilted and the "professional" quilter got all the backs with the wrong fronts. Plus the quilting itself was absolutely horrible -- it made the pretty quilt top look ugly and the thread tension was off with lots of bird nests on the back. I was so disappointed. But, yes, I did rip out all of the quilting on all three quilts and, 8 months later, they're still sitting there waiting for me to make a decision on how to proceed. Some day I'll be brave and take them to someone else to be quilted.
    Old 11-29-2010, 08:59 AM

Have you considered temporarily leaving the quilting in place as "basting" for your hand-quilting? If there aren't pleats and puckers on the back, just remove sections of the LAQ as you get to that area for your hand quilting. Hopefully you can salvage what you have without removing the binding too.
    Old 11-29-2010, 09:07 AM

Yes. If you are dissappointed with it it is in your best interest to take it out and redo it. You can always replace the batting and back with some a little larger.
    Old 11-29-2010, 09:29 AM

I have taken out quilting after quilting - its a pain but you feel better afterwards - matter of fact I am taking out quilt stitches from a quilt..
    Old 11-29-2010, 09:51 AM

I have ripped out several quilts, I was the quilter. Boy was I mad at myself. One quilt took a year to rip out. I learned a lot by ripping it out. Rip it out because if you are like me a bad job is still a bad job.
    Old 11-29-2010, 10:45 AM

After all the time you put into it already (it's gorgeous by the way) I say rip out the bad stitches. Get the DH to help while watching tv. Quality time together!!