Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone bought a quilt (not an antique, but a new one) >

Has anyone bought a quilt (not an antique, but a new one)

Has anyone bought a quilt (not an antique, but a new one)

Old 12-02-2014, 01:47 AM

Didn't buy one but won one in a raffle, was over the moon
Old 12-02-2014, 03:09 AM
Power Poster

Like rebeljane - didn't buy one but bought a stack of tickets for one crafted by our local CWA (Country Women's Association) quilting group.....didn't win....drat!
Old 12-03-2014, 06:29 AM

My guild makes a beautiful quilt each year and raffles it off at the annual show. I never enter the raffle because the quilts (in my opinion) are just too nice to use, and I don't have a place to display a quilt of that size so I just don't know what I would do with it other than store it. That seems a criminal thing to do with these quilts that so many talented people put their time into.

That's why I like my own quilts...I'm not afraid to use them, not afraid to let the dogs sleep on them or the cats to crawl over them, or to toss them on the ground for a picnic... If they get "battle scars" or stains that's just part of the charm and help tell the quilt's story. But I'd be devastated and feel terribly guilty if my cat snagged a claw on someone else's masterpiece that was in my care...

Funny, I never really thought about it that clearly...I guess that helps me understand why people are hesitant to use quilts I make for them. Hmmm...
Old 12-03-2014, 07:01 AM

I have bid on and won two quilts at different quilt show auctions. The first one I got for around $150, the second for $100. My greatest possession, however, is the quilt which I won in a raffle. Every quilt guild makes a raffle quilt every year and goes to different guild meetings in the area, and every year, I buy tickets. Since I belong to two guilds, I end up buying tickets for the same raffle quilt at both meetings. After 10 years of buying raffle tickets, I won one! It was made by the Coastal Prairie Quilt Guild and is absolutely gorgeous. The border is all hand appliqued, and the quilting is feathers, feathers and more feathers.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]501047[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2013-12-19-texas-beauty-coastal-prairie-quilt-guild.jpg  
Old 12-06-2014, 06:21 AM

yes I have many years ago, maybe 12 yrs...from the mennonites in southern On. I payed 500$ for it .....it is handquilted and I haven `t used it yet....It is a trip around the world....I `ve loved quilts forever ....I finally took a course not long after that and now make my own....but I still don`t have one on my bed...may be it`s time I take out that trip around the world quilt...
Old 12-06-2014, 10:31 PM

I bought two quilts years ago from the Amish in Lancaster County. One is a Double Wedding Ring on my bed (bought because I thought I'd never make such a difficult pattern) and the other is a Lone Star which is still unused (bought for the same reason). I also bought a small Christmas quilt for only $25 once at a Flea Market, love using it on the couch each Christmas.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:11 PM

I used to buy and sell antique quilts when I was an antique dealer. The folksy example of a schoolhouse quilt I sold to the (then) editor of Leisure Arts and it was featured in a quilt book called In Love With Quilts. I believe this was in the 80's. Another outstanding quilt was a tree of life quilt...went to a B & B in the historic district in Little Rock. I handled lots of vintage and antique quilt blocks, tops and quilts over 30 yrs. Did not keep even one for myself. I hand quilted several antique tops and sold those also. I think I may have 2 sets of old blocks somewhere in storage I could set together but am more interested in creating new ones since I retired.....