Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone bought from Temu? >

Has anyone bought from Temu?

Has anyone bought from Temu?

Old 04-18-2024, 05:17 AM

One of the ladies in my sewing group orders from Temu a lot... so far she has been really happy about most things being exactly what she wanted and arriving in reasonable time. I don't know if she would tell us of bad experiences.... Quilting related I think one of the things she ordered, and then ordered again in a different size was those wool pressing mats. She also bought one (expensive) American made first so she had that to judge the others by.
Old 04-18-2024, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

There was a news story about Temu being owned by a Chinese company. They use it for spyware. If you are okay with all your information being collected by the Chinese company then you can probably get okay goods for good prices. Obviously they would want to keep their customers happy so they can continue using the Temu spyware.
Old 04-18-2024, 06:55 AM

Yes, China is not one I would buy from. of course tons of things sold here are made there. sad but true.
Old 04-18-2024, 07:05 AM

I also bought the wool mats, and it's ever bit as good as the expensive one I bought several years ago...Last order I got 2 of the machine mats, and they work great.. They're about 1/2" thick and sure mutes the machine 'noise'.. One order I got, I ordered a pink Santa sweatshirt, and thot I picked right size, well it was rather large on me, so contacted them, they gave me full credit and said to keep the shirt, pass it on or whatever...I have a friend that will wear it, so I passed it on.. I reordered a size down and it's perfect. They're really nice to correspond with.
Old 04-18-2024, 08:04 AM

You guys obviously did not read the terms of service before you jumped on to buy cheap crap. Remember, NOTHING is cheap or free. If you're getting something for free (or less than what you would normally pay), then YOU are the product.

Business experts who have studied Temu state there is no way Temu is running a profitable business. They're buying market share, biding their time, running other companies out of business by selling cheap, counterfeit, and/or poorly made items. Once they've driven any competitors out of business, they'll jack their prices up. It's the Amazon model on steroids.

There is no such thing as a private company in China - the government is part of every business. Temu collects data on EVERYTHING in your phone. Contact info for your friends and family, calendars, all your photos, texts, emails, and social media data including logins and DMs, plus all the data from all the other apps you use, including financial (banking, PayPal, Venmo, etc) and medical (MyChart). Also keep in mind that when they have access to your photos, they also have access to all the metadata in the photos, meaning among other things, they know when and where you took that picture of your grandchildren.

The app has code written into it that elevates its privileges, which means it is able to give itself access to data at a higher level than you allowed when you first installed it. It also prevents itself from being uninstalled.

Considering all the recent news about the advances in artificial intelligence, I think using this app is quite foolish at a minimum, and that's the nicest way I can think of to say it. You guys are playing with fire.

Last edited by Peckish; 04-18-2024 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-19-2024, 04:08 AM

Several youtube quilters, like The IDIOT Quilter, deven bland did a review on some quilting items from Temu.
you can also go to YouTube and type in TEMU review. I would not purchase thread since seeing the poor quality of their fabric.
Old 04-19-2024, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

I must be a major cynic because as soon as I saw their ad the first time I thought "too good to be true". Maybe I'm wrong but I wouldn't buy from them.
Old 04-19-2024, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I must be a major cynic because as soon as I saw their ad the first time I thought "too good to be true". Maybe I'm wrong but I wouldn't buy from them.
I thought the same, Susie. I'm a cynic, too. You pay for things in one way or another. I find it cheaper to pay upfront.