Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone done tube quilting?

k here's some pics daughter thought all 1 layout was too boring
    so insisted on using all 12 diff ones in quilt...
    couple of them ya can't see the entire block sorry bout that.

[IMG]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e3...tuff/pink1.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e3...tuff/pink2.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e3...tuff/pink3.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e3...tuff/pink4.jpg[/IMG]

Blog Entries
    What fun. Thanks for the pics. Those are way too cool.

You inspired me and I tried it tonight and found I could get 10 cuts out of 2 fabrics from a jelly roll (2.5 cut strips) matched up with a contrasting fabric. It was fun to try all the different layouts. Thank you for taking pictures and posting. Now I have to figure out what to do with the 2 left over squares. Probably use for another project.

I'll take pictures tomorrow and try to get them online.

I laid the 45 degree line of my ruler on the edge of the fabric and the tip was on the sewn line at the top. Didn't have to undo any sewing lines. Did you do it that way too?

my 45 line was on the seam didn't have to undo any stitches either and half the "dogears" were cut off in the process which was nice

left overs? hehe
    just do another the way you did your first and you'll have an even # of squares ;)

I did 5 tubes to get my 12 blocks

and you're welcome for the pics
    I'm going to have to do this again when daughter isn't around and just make 1 layout.. once I figure out which of these I like the best hehehe

Good going! You are having waaayyy too much fun, and so quickly! That is so fine!
    Thank you and daughter for sharing!

Blog Entries
    I like your #1, #6, #8, #12. Each one of my tubes are from different fabrics. That's why I had 2 squares left from each one. Figure I could use them for borders, each facing the same way using the contrasting fabric for the base. I'm using a jelly roll I bought from Connecting threads because I like the colors but didn't have anything in mind when i bought them. Just wanted to add them to my stash. Like I needed more stash. Will try to post some picture tomorrow or Monday. Will look forward to your input when I get them posted.

oh, goody! I get to anticipate all weekend long ... I am just loving your pictures!

This is so cool. I think even I can do this without messing it up.
    How much fabric did it take for 5 tubes/12 blocks?
    What was the finished size of the blocks-12"?

how much fabric? ummm I really didn't keep track but lets see...
    5 tubes probly close to bout 15'' per 2.5'' strip and bout 25'' for the contrast

not got all blocks sewn together completely but I guestimate 10'' unfinished or close to that.

cool burnsk can't wait to see them :)

I did a table runner last night with it. Then the leftovers, I made a hot pad. I'll post pictures of it later.
    I just had a problem that seams didn't want to match up, but I think it was me and was trying to rush thru, not watching what I was doing. It's still pretty and hubby says I need to sell it because he thinks it'll make money in the craft fair even with the little "off" spots.

Blog Entries
    If you use 2 - 2.5 inch strips to make your tube, when you sew 4 squares together they come out at 10.5" unfinished. I'm going to experiment with sewing 3 - 1.5 in. strips together and see what they come out to. Geesh how I get side-tracked when I have other things I need to do. But I love to do new things. I guess I'm scatter brained. Does anyone else feel like this? Is this why I have so many UFO's? I have so many blocks that have never made it to completed quilts because I get side tracked. HELP HELP HELP

Blog Entries
    Love what you did with the blocks! That looks like way too much fun so quickly!

Wow -- that looks so easy!!! OK, you math pros out there -- what size do I need to cut the strips to up with a 12 1/2" block???? :oops:

Just made 8 blocks.
    They are on the bias so be careful ironing and joining. Also when you iron the backgrd seams do one color toward the backgrd or you wont get opposite seams.
    They went togather well but the measurement on the video is wrong, you get 4 1/2 inch with two strips joined. Do the math.
    My blocks came out just shy of 11 inchs.

Thank you so much for the link!
    My Mom has been brainstorming ways for her church group to jazz up their charity quilts. It seems they were stuck in a 4-patch or 9-patch rut. This should really open doors for them!

Here is a link to the book "Tubular Quilting"
    http://www.amazon.com/Totally-Tubula...7616463&sr=1-2

and if you can find it, the show that Alex Anderson used to host, "Simply Quilts" had a show with the author of the book, and I think the show was called "Psychedelic Tubes" I just have a hard time finding stuff on the HGTV web site, and getting a link for it. Hopefully, this one will work:
    http://www.hgtv.com/search/results.d...hType=HGTV.com

It appears to show only two of the four segments for the whole show.

Diane

I love this method! This is how I do my HST and they come out perfect everytime.

:lol: Thanks for posting this link, looks like something that I could try.

WOW. Thanks for the demo...I was wondering if you could use different size strips instead of just 2 1/2". What about trying one strip 2" and another one 3" or 2 1/4 and 2 3/4"??? Going to try this...

Dix
    Blog Entries
    I just have been playing with the tube quilting. Saw the instructions on the tutorial and it looked fun. I did 3 Christmas fabric. Two hints though, 1. When cutting the tube, always cut the same way or the colors will be in the wrong place and 2. Be sure to square up your squares. With these measurments I squared to 5 1/2 inches. It was fun and I did 4 blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by dmackey
    Here is a link to the book "Tubular Quilting"
    http://www.amazon.com/Totally-Tubula...7616463&sr=1-2

and if you can find it, the show that Alex Anderson used to host, "Simply Quilts" had a show with the author of the book, and I think the show was called "Psychedelic Tubes" I just have a hard time finding stuff on the HGTV web site, and getting a link for it. Hopefully, this one will work:
    http://www.hgtv.com/search/results.d...hType=HGTV.com

It appears to show only two of the four segments for the whole show.

Diane
    Yep! This is the book I was thinking about ... and, the technique.
    It is too bad that HGTV decided to go all planting and house decorating or whatever they are doing nowadays. I quit watching when Carol Duvall and Simply Quilts left ... and, they don't have much archived any more, either. If it weren't for RFD-TV, I wouldn't get any quilting shows at all! And, we have DirecTV ... for whatever that is worth, although I do get Fox News, so it isn't all bad! LOL

Super Member Sheree from Chicago's Avatar
    I have a book "Totally Tubular" but haven't done anything from it yet. I think it may be different than that shown in the demo as the books patterns are more modern than traditional.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheree from Chicago
    I have a book "Totally Tubular" but haven't done anything from it yet. I think it may be different than that shown in the demo as the books patterns are more modern than traditional.
    Yes, tube quilting is different from Totally Tubular ... and, I have a book "Twin Peaks" which shows how to use this technique to make a quarter-square triangle, which is where the triangles are attached at the short side of the triangle. I probably should find a picture .....

http://www.amazon.com/Twin-Peaks-Qui.../dp/1564778347

same way of setting up the fabrics, but you cut a different angle. Very interesting ...

Blog Entries
    omak, those look cool too! There are soo many new ways to play, I'm gonna have to find more hours in the day!!

That looks cool. Thanks for sharing. 8)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast