Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone dyed their own quilting fabric? >

Has anyone dyed their own quilting fabric?

Has anyone dyed their own quilting fabric?

Old 07-19-2010, 11:38 AM

I make mottled colors all the time....stir the fabric for a couple of minutes to be sure all is colored (unless you want some white, then stir less) then press it to the bottom of your container with your stirring tool and leave it for awhile. I usually do this with Dylon dyes, which say to stir continuously for 10 minutes then leave in dye for an hour, stirring occasionally. I "forget it" for a couple of hours and then rinse. Dylon gives better results, in my opinion, and is more permanent/less likely to bleed on first washing than RIT. I get Dylon at Michael's and WalMart. I am sure there are other places too.....
Old 07-20-2010, 07:11 AM

I've dyed alot of my fabrics. It's not too bad to do at all. I use 2 gallon storage bags and create graduate colorways by using different strengths of the dye in each of the bags. It's fun.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:45 AM

Okay, I'm convinced. I'm gonna try it. I love the mottled look so I won't stir it completely. Thanks for the info!!
Old 07-20-2010, 02:30 PM

Yes, Yes, Yes! And stamp, paint, color, embellish and anything else I can think of for fun. I use the Pro-Chem dyes mentioned before and they sent me a color chart w/my very 1st order and I watch their You Tube videos to learn. There's so much on YouTube one almost doesn't have to attend classes. HOWEVER, I love dyeing w/friends and exchanging ideas (and sometimes fabric)! It takes a while to set up in my garage and I only do it in the winter (live in Central FL where the heat index today is 105-110 degrees)! Then, I invite 5 other friends and we all go crazy with dyeing our fabrics. If you need to know more about a small group set up, feel free to write me off group.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:54 PM

I just tried dyeing some old white T-shirts. I just bought a packette of yellow dye at the dollar store. Put about 1 cup pf hot tap water in a jar , added the dye closed lid & let it sit overnight. Today I filled my washer with hot water on smallest load. Added my dye mixture agitated a little added mt shirts (3). Meantime I stirred about a cup of salt in a small bowl & added this carefully 9didn't let get directly om clothes) to my rinse cycle. Looks really good no mottled effect as all dye was dilited. As soon as I get some blue I want to try muslin.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Dee

I have not dyed any fabric. Did tye dye long time ago.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:08 AM
Banned

I want to dye my own colors, so I am collecting white fabric, and then will have to collect dyes. God bless. Penny
Old 07-25-2010, 09:25 AM

I've done a couple of workshops where we've done gradations of one colour, colour families and colour'n'complement. We dyed calico/muslin fqs in ziplocs and each of us took home at least 3 trays (I used cat litter trays) packed with plastic bags. The following day was rinsing day -and it did take all day and gallons of water. My hands and shoulders complained for ages afterwards. The workshops are great fun, and lovely though the fabric turns out to be, I'm certainly not up to doing it again. Besides we're on a water meter now!
Old 07-25-2010, 12:07 PM

It has been many years since I have dyed fabric for a project,,,,,,,,it didn't turn out very well, I could not get the fabric to stop fading on the other swatches. I gave up and threw it away Dyes are much improved today I'm sure, but I don't have the time I used to either. Four patch was not the first one. Just the crazy patch and then the square. then the four patch. If I remember history, the quilt came from patching the whole peices of Blanket, with the worn out clothing when ever it had worn spot, Then, they used these left over pieces to mend clothing.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:15 PM
Gal

I have used a spray bottle to get the speckled look. Spraying it on the fabric laid flat.

Gal