Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone else ever done anything like this? >

Has anyone else ever done anything like this?

Has anyone else ever done anything like this?

Old 07-18-2010, 09:15 AM

When I was first starting to sew using my new machine I sewed though my left pointer finger, and the needle broke off in it. It startled me and I let out a yelp loud enough to wake my daughter. She was worried about getting the needle out of my finger, I was worried about if I had another needle for my machine or not. LOL.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:24 AM

I tried to teach myself to quilt many years ago and wanting to do it on the cheap just in case it wasn't my thing, I bought a small rotary cutter and a plastic ruler that wasn't for quilting. Well, when I did one of my first cuts the cutter jumped over the small ruler edge and got the index finger on my left hand. It took a long time for it to heal and I can see still the "vacant" spot where it took the chunk of flesh! It was about 7 years before I bought the Omnigrid ruler and was successful in learning to quilt and about being careful with those very, very sharp rotary cutters!
Old 07-18-2010, 10:24 AM

I got my somh a safty shield for her rottery ruler after she sliced off a good part od the side of her finger.
Heard tale of aunt who uses to do alt's foe the white house in SF that she ran over her finger with sewing machine.
I guess I am just a total wuss as I do NOT like pain and have never sewen my finger or cut off part of it. When ever my fingers get close to the needle or the blade I think of how they can hurt me so am extra careful :-)
Old 07-18-2010, 10:42 AM

Those cuts can be annoying and that's why I keep all my Warm n Natural batting scraps and a roll of scotch tape handy. I'm on a blood thinner but the W n N seems to stop the bleeding right away so I can continue to quilt. whew!
Old 07-18-2010, 10:52 AM

Can't say as I have cut myself with the rotary, but pin pricked finger comes to mind on a doll quilt I did last year. Luckily I got the blood out and recipient never knew.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:36 PM

I cut the tip of my finger off once and once I bumped my scissors off the table, tried to catch them and stabbed the point deep in my hand. I guess I hit a nerve because I have never felt such a sharp pain. The next time I let them hit the floor.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:17 PM

I haven't cut my finger using the cutter but I have cut it when I have forgotten to click my blade back in and brushed against it.

I teach my kids in class how to use the rotary cutters and it freaks me out every time they do, although no one has ever cut themselves. Then, at the sewing expo in WA this year, I found the Gypsy Grippers. I bought several of the "inbetween" size, we use 24" rulers in class and they work perfect. Keeps your hands off the ruler, away from the edge and the cutter. Gave me a TRUCKLOAD of peace of mind.

You can see them on www.thegypsyquilter.com.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Power Poster

I've ha two such accidents, the worst, i was working for the co tht dist. TAJIMA prof emb machines. set the room up for a group of people to buy a 4 head and 12 head machine (15 needles each), rotaried of the tip of my finger. the room was just redone 2 weeks b4, new carpeting ect. i bled all the way to the bathroom, where the tip of my finger wnt down he drain. swuprisingly, most of it grew back,
i don't know what happened to the sale, i was at the hospital, but when i came back a week later, they took away my cutter, said i was too dangerous, made me wear work boots too so i wouldn't cut my foot off. they made me thow away rotary cutter and blades, all 100 of em, and i snatched 'em back so i have blades for the rest of ths lifetime.(now if i couuld just find the whole box)!!!!
Old 07-18-2010, 01:51 PM
Power Poster

I've ha two such accidents, the worst, i was working for the co tht dist. TAJIMA prof emb machines. set the room up for a group of people to buy a 4 head and 12 head machine (15 needles each), rotaried of the tip of my finger. the room was just redone 2 weeks b4, new carpeting ect. i bled all the way to the bathroom, where the tip of my finger wnt down he drain. swuprisingly, most of it grew back,
i don't know what happened to the sale, i was at the hospital, but when i came back a week later, they took away my cutter, said i was too dangerous, made me wear work boots too so i wouldn't cut my foot off. they made me thow away rotary cutter and blades, all 100 of em, and i snatched 'em back so i have blades for the rest of ths lifetime.(now if i couuld just find the whole box)!!!!
Old 07-18-2010, 01:55 PM

I had a lady in one of my classes early on (right after rotary cutters came out) she nicked her finger but didn't say anything, just put her hand under the table, by the time I found out about it, she had a puddle on the floor. Got the first aid kit and bandaged her up, then had to clean up the mess. Ah we live and learn. Ever since that I stress. "Make sure you know where your fingers are before you cut!" Was at the LQS yesterday and a lady was purchasing a kit to do (her first quilt) Was asked about rotary cutters etc, so told her what I use and why and also "be sure you know where your fingers are. Hope she heard me. But she is a nurse, so would know what to do if she does cut her fingers.