Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone ever downgraded ? >

Has anyone ever downgraded ?

Has anyone ever downgraded ?

Old 02-08-2014, 07:35 AM

I am in the process of downgrading to a DSM. I currently have a Grace frame with a Janome 1600 (stitch regulated).
It is great for stippling and allover designs, but it takes up too much space, and I hope to move into a smaller home.
I listed the frame set-up on cl, and am buying a larger throated DSM to replace it.

Before getting into the mid-arm machine, I took the prerequisite class at my LQS so I could rent their machine and "groovy boards". They rent the machine by the day, or charge per square inch (whichever is more). It cost me about $55 to quilt a small baby quilt. You can also rent their machine for FMQ, but you have to take their lessons (about $200) before you can rent the machine for FMQ.

I thought about purchasing a sit-down machine, but the LQS owner keeps steering me away from them.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:46 PM

I wonder why your LQS is discouraging you from getting a sit down setup.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:03 PM

I also am surprised that your LQS is discouraging you. All the folks that I have heard seem to love the sit downs - I don't have a Sweet Sixteen but I do have the 7700 and really love it. I did template work for the first time today. it was easy on the machine to do, but to mark the quilts...that is a different story. my back is killing me...I need a better, higher table.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:28 PM

The LQS store folks tell me that the sit-down is so limiting--just a straight stith and that the stitch regulation on the sit-downs isn't that great, and they think I'll wish I had bought one of the bigger machines with a frame (Avante or Fusion). Maybe its because they don't even have a sit-down one in their store, just the "big boys".
Old 02-08-2014, 06:39 PM

Slightly, I'm feeling the same way as you. I have a small frame setup too and am sometimes not able to quilt a quilt the we I want to. Mostly if I want a quilt to look special I free motion quilt it really densely, but that takes forever and not always what I really want.
So lately I have gone back to using my sit down machine for some of the sofa size and smaller quilts.
I have space to do it either way. My frame machine is in the cellar, the rest of my stuff is upstairs in my sewing room.
You really don't need a big machine to quilt with. I've quilted queen size quilts on my Bernina. Just make sure you can support the weight of the quilt so it doesn't drag.
Good luck
Cindy
Old 02-08-2014, 09:01 PM

Well I have the same Brother sewing machine as you. I learned how to free motion quilt at a Cindy Needham 4 day workshop and no one even mentioned frames. When I read about frames at first I was excited, but then as I thought about it, I realized for me they would be very limiting. Without the frame I can quilt the 'big picture'. That's the way I like to quilt. I would have trouble breaking it up into sections. I usually design my machine quilting to cover the whole quilt not like a pantograph. Try it without. You can always put the frame back up if you miss it.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:30 AM

I wanted to let you all know that I have taken down the frame, and have put out some feelers locally to see if anyone was interested since I know me, and I know I will never go back to using it knowing its limitations. I did want to show you what I realized I could do WITHOUT the frame, that I could have never done as nicely on it !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]461286[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]461287[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscn2503-650x487.jpg   dscn2505-650x487.jpg  
Old 02-09-2014, 04:54 AM

Well, what you found you could do without the frame is an inspiration to those of us who haven't taken the FMQ plunge yet! Great job. I think you'll be happy with your decision since this frees up your creativity.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:51 AM

I had a Juki set up on a handiquilter frame. Sold the juke and used my Janome 6600 on the frame as it had the same throat as the Juki, and sandwiched my quilt before I put it on the frame. so I used my frame just to keep the quilt taught. worked fine but with the 9" throat I was always bumping up to the edges and not concentrating on my quilting. It worked for a while but I got a nice deal on a Sweetsixteen at the Vermont quilt show and so I sold the frame also. Love the sitdown, a lot easier on the back.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:13 AM

I also have this machine, not a frame. I have my machine set into a nice table with a lot of room to the sides and back of the DSM. I can do a pretty good job on test pieces, but when I get the entire quilt on, the weight of the quilt seems to make it too hard to handle and I usually go back to stippling. I'm not sure if I will ever get there. Suggestions from those of you that do more than stippling or SID on a bed size quilt would be wonderful. Do you mark? What works best for you? I've tried the pounce with stencil and also drawing with chalk pencil. Did not like either one.