Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone ever...... >

Has anyone ever......

Has anyone ever......

Old 03-11-2019, 01:42 PM

Thanks for the idea of "skinning" the quilt. But I took too long to decide on that backing; no way am I sacrificing it! And I'm already begun the ripping out. It just takes time and is boring -- all while I call myself a few names! -- but it can be done.

Thanks to all who commented, who understand, and who have wished me luck. It's encouraging to know I'm not quite mad -- or that others have been, too. Maybe it comes with quiltmaking!
Old 03-11-2019, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by patski View Post
Yes I have done that . Hated the quilt and had to redo it.
This is exactly where I was. I couldn't stand it, so have to undo it. I am a "fixer" by nature (not always a positive trait!) so couldn't let it go, even though this is not an important quilt, in the grand scheme of my quilt making.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Yep, I once ripped out every quilted stitch on a large double/small queen sized quilt because I didn't like the way I'd stitched it. I just used a regular seam ripper and cut a stitch every couple of inches and then worked the thread out. Took a while, but it was worth it in the end.

Rob
This is my process, Rob. I'm cutting every 4 or 5 stitch with a seam ripper and then the back thread just comes out in one tug......mostly. It's slow, tedious, unrewarding work but is kind of penance for getting this far without admitting how ugly it was and how I'd erred. I looked at it this morning and wondered "What was I thinking?" After that, the decision to rip was easy.

I'd have been ashamed for anyone to see that quilt, if it does nothing more than reside on a shelf. So, no matter how long it takes, I'll be glad I did it. It can't look worse.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:08 PM

Yes, just part of a row. It took about 10 minutes to make the mistake and about 4 hours with Jack the Ripper.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Yes, just part of a row. It took about 10 minutes to make the mistake and about 4 hours with Jack the Ripper.
Had to laugh. I was doing some unquilting on one of my own and the phrase that kept going through my head was "a moment on the lips a lifetime on the hips" only I was muttering it only took me 5 minutes to quilt this bit and almost an hour to unpick it.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:49 PM

Yup, took it off the long arm, and when the mood striked me I would slowly start frogging when I was bored, it took me 7 months. It is done now and I’m glad I spent the time ripping it all out, I’m very happy with it now! At the end of the day it’s a personal choice, how much is your time worth? How much do you love the project? And would you feel better if you just tossed it. I feel your pain!
Old 03-11-2019, 03:04 PM

I bought an old quilt in a second hand store, it was cheap because it had been done (badly) on a domestic machine. I picked out all the quilting, with plans of requilting it. Stitches were large so it wasn’t a horrible job. Never got around to doing it over so I sold the top for 3x what I paid.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:40 PM
Power Poster

Yep, been there, done that.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:51 PM

Yes! Finished the quilt again...just before Christmas and sent to a niece for a Christmas present and have not heard one word from her.
It was a friend who long armed it, one of her first quilts to do. Uneven stitches, inconsistent tensions. Never again. I have never understood how she could complete and return and never said a word about the poor outcome.
I loved the quilt, should have never let a rookie get her hands on it and I should have never rehomed it.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:20 PM

I'm not sure the batting was washed. The lingerie bag is great for the top, though.