Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Has anyone ever used...?

Happily buried in a heap of fabric in Indiana!

Has anyone ever used...?

Have any of you ever used the binding foot on your vintage sewing machine to bind a quilt? I've never used mine because it looks intimidating. I have it out looking at it since yesterday and want to try it but don't know if it is for that thick of material or not?
    Sew, sew, it's the threads that keep love together :>} I love sunbonnet sue,old-fashioned things like 1950's or older housewife things, and like hankies,tea towels and aprons . Thanks to some lovely members on here I now have lots of aprons in my collection !!

Blog Entries
    I don't have one for my vintage machines but I do have one for my Janome. I tried it once and I just couldn't get it to work right so back into the accessory basket it went!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Just like FMQ this is one foot that you have to practice with. You are putting 3 layers in the center that you need to keep straight (maybe doing a narrow zig-zag would help) and then trying to feed another piece of fabric into the binding slots and keep that straight also.... I never put my binding on with this type of binding. It is much easier to fold in 1/2, sew raw edges to the quilt raw edge, fold over and stitch down. I start on the front and machine stitch to the back by stitching in the ditch on the front. Much easier to control..

Blog Entries
    I tried once, but gave up. I couldn't get the binding to feed through correctly. Maybe one of these days I'll devote the time to learning how to do it. Would certainly save a lot of hand sewing. One thought though; how would you handle corners?
    jlm5419-an Okie back in Oklahoma!
    http://according-to-ginger.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jlm5419 View Post
    I tried once, but gave up. I couldn't get the binding to feed through correctly. Maybe one of these days I'll devote the time to learning how to do it. Would certainly save a lot of hand sewing. One thought though; how would you handle corners?
    I hadn't thought about the corners; hummmmm. I guess it would work better on rounded corners.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    The binding foot on most machines is meant for binding on clothing -- armholes, necklines, etc. There are a few binding feet that are made especially to handle quilts with their thicker layers, but these are few and far-between and usually are very difficult to work with. Square corners are always a problem too.

Happily buried in a heap of fabric in Indiana!
    Ok, thanks for replying, I think I'll just wait until I have more time to play with it and just fold and sew on the binding.
    Sew, sew, it's the threads that keep love together :>} I love sunbonnet sue,old-fashioned things like 1950's or older housewife things, and like hankies,tea towels and aprons . Thanks to some lovely members on here I now have lots of aprons in my collection !!