Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone ever wanted to (seriously) reduce their stash? >

Has anyone ever wanted to (seriously) reduce their stash?

Has anyone ever wanted to (seriously) reduce their stash?

Old 04-13-2010, 10:22 AM

No! I would "share" in a heartbeat but "get rid of it"? NO! I LOVE my fabric! Even that discusting bright yellow that I've had for the last 8 years! Don't know if I'll ever find a quilt to put that in! But my fabric gives me peace! It soothes my soul! If anyone wants some, just ask! I'll be more than glad to share! But I do treasure my stash and wish I had MORE MORE MORE!
Bills Girl
Old 04-13-2010, 10:23 AM

We have a quilting circle at our church, "Sonshine Quilters" whose mission is to make and give lap quilts to shut-ins or to those going through some rough times, praying that they will help bring comfort and give them hope for better times. If you wish to pass on any unwanted fabric, it would go for a good cause.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:25 AM

I love having some fabrics that I acquired somehow (or was gifted) that I can lovingly share with others.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:28 AM

Im the odd man (or woman) out in that I love to quilt not collect fabric. I have a scraps hamper for applique, a pile of "why did I buy that" that I am going to donate, a pile of maybe 50 pieces of fabric (mostly FQ's) I really like that dont have mates yet and three UFO's.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:52 AM

I feel a little overwhelmed with what I have, although from my observation of the pictures I've seen on this board, I'm only moderately stocked. Still, I feel like I really need to use what I have for a while before I buy now. For now, I only buy yellows and purples because those are the two drawers that still have room in them. Otherwise, I'm trying to hold myself back and pick from my stash for now.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:00 AM

Oh yes I am ashamed to admitt I have to much so would like to downsize and I do have fabric I bought when I first started quilting, its one of those what was I thinking moments.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:46 AM

Me? No way, I don't Have enough. but on the other hand I wouldn't say no to fabric that was flowing my way. I would definatly use it. I want to appolijize sp? It isn't like me to ask for fabric. Theressse
Old 04-13-2010, 12:39 PM

I have a neice that just started quilting. So this has been great to clear a lot of fabric I will never use. Also a lot of UFO's That I have decided that if not finished by now they never will be. Gives her a lot to prictice on before she gets into spending a lot on fabric. UFO's are great for this purpose because different projects at different stages make very good teaching tools. She also has different color pref. so what I do not care for anymore she likes. Great, I love to give most anything to someone who appreciates it and will use it. I do not mind, letting go. And another Quilter is born.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:08 PM

I don't have a big stash, but enough probably to make 2 lap size quilts. I need to use up what I have - spent too much money on my dog who had 2 surgeries within 1 1/2 weeks apart. Plus DH just doesn't understand and we are on a strick budget (not my doing though, lol). I have 2 pieced and started quilting one of them and then I will start on a scrap quilt for my friend then maybe a dresdan plate quilt for me (yeah, right...) I have at least sorted the scraps by light, medium and dark (the best I could, not good at value or color yet).
Old 04-13-2010, 01:36 PM

When I was a newbie to quilting my sisters who had quilted for years constantly talked about "fat quarters." Sooooo, not knowing what I was doing, I cut almost all of my fabric into fat quarters---I now have 8 drawers of fats that I'm tired of. I get some out occasionally and use them but now I want newer, brighter, just different fabric. But do I want my stash to dwindle???? Not really, I just want to replace the old stuff with new. Don't tell DH but I do add to it constantly.