Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone ever wanted to (seriously) reduce their stash? >

Has anyone ever wanted to (seriously) reduce their stash?

Has anyone ever wanted to (seriously) reduce their stash?

Old 04-14-2010, 04:04 AM

How precious in your newbie state to have cut your fabric into fat quarters. Not laughing at you but am roaring in laughter WITH you... Bless you!

Originally Posted by raptureready
When I was a newbie to quilting my sisters who had quilted for years constantly talked about "fat quarters." Sooooo, not knowing what I was doing, I cut almost all of my fabric into fat quarters---I now have 8 drawers of fats that I'm tired of. I get some out occasionally and use them but now I want newer, brighter, just different fabric. But do I want my stash to dwindle???? Not really, I just want to replace the old stuff with new. Don't tell DH but I do add to it constantly.
:P :P
Old 04-14-2010, 04:06 AM

I am also selling fabric bundles. Go to: http://www.shophandmade.com/Store/20482Mom
New bundles added every day. Thanks for looking.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Originally Posted by Ilovemydogs
I have decided that I need to use more of what I have. I am fortunate to have a DM who will buy me fabric from time to time. I haven't bought any fabric myself for a while. My goal is to make several scrap quilts. Now that I have learned how to paper piece, I can get rid of the smaller scraps.
Is a DM a Dear Mother? If so congratulations. My mother passed away in 2003 but I inherited a lot of her stash. I have two sisters that also quilt so I had to split it with them. We still had several large plastic tubs each. :thumbup: Once all six of us kids moved out mom had room to have a pretty good size stash. She never shopped but we kept her in fabric.

Yes, dear mother. I tease my mom that I get all of her stash as my inheritance. She has been staying with me this last month, and she leaves tomorrow. I might have to check her suitcase! :-)
Old 04-14-2010, 08:06 AM

After posting the other day, I received a call from an acquaintance. He said they (he and his sister) have 14, yes 14 boxes of fabric ready for me to haul away. There is still more they have to go through. Yikes!!!
His mom died last year and she was a hand quilter and seamstress. No telling how old some of the fabric is, what colors, quality, and such. He said there are some pieces already cut, some sewn together, some scraps. I told him I would take it all and what I could not use will pass on to others who will use it.

The biggest problem will be washing it all as she was a chain smoker as well as most in her family. I may not even be able to use it due to this. We will see. I have a Sanitize cycle on my washer and have a method I use for washing tough stuff, so hopefully it will work. I will keep ya all posted. I am to get fabric by the EOM.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:06 AM

When this pillowcase call came out I went thru my stash and was amazed at how many pieces I could incorporate in the cases. Some pieces were big enough for the 9" band and others for the 2" strip so they have gone to a good cause.
Betty
Old 04-14-2010, 11:29 AM

i've often wanted to change mine out, but never wanted to reduce he tonnage.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wvdek
After posting the other day, I received a call from an acquaintance. He said they (he and his sister) have 14, yes 14 boxes of fabric ready for me to haul away. There is still more they have to go through. Yikes!!!
His mom died last year and she was a hand quilter and seamstress. No telling how old some of the fabric is, what colors, quality, and such. He said there are some pieces already cut, some sewn together, some scraps. I told him I would take it all and what I could not use will pass on to others who will use it.

The biggest problem will be washing it all as she was a chain smoker as well as most in her family. I may not even be able to use it due to this. We will see. I have a Sanitize cycle on my washer and have a method I use for washing tough stuff, so hopefully it will work. I will keep ya all posted. I am to get fabric by the EOM.
Wow I would be so excited to get that much fabric, how lucky you are. Penny
Old 04-15-2010, 07:14 AM

I haven't considered reducing my stash...using more of it, yes.
I worked hard to earn the money to buy this fabric and now that fabric costs so much more than when I started, I'm glad that I have choices within our own four walls.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:41 AM

Please please, if anyone gets too much fabric, just send me a pm. I am a newbie and working very hard to build a stash. I would be happy to pay shipping.

[email protected]
Old 04-15-2010, 08:48 AM

OMG Donna you have kits you don't want? I would love them, plus any fabric you don't want. I am a newbie and this would be great practice for me.

[email protected]