Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone gone to the Handiquilter Retreat in Salt Lake City >

Has anyone gone to the Handiquilter Retreat in Salt Lake City

Has anyone gone to the Handiquilter Retreat in Salt Lake City

Old 01-06-2017, 02:42 PM
Power Poster

Default Has anyone gone to the Handiquilter Retreat in Salt Lake City

I have been thinking of attending the Handiquilter 3-day retreat as I have the Sweet 16 and I am still quite timid. I watched a youtube and it look like the retreats are great but I was hoping to hear some first-hand experience. Anyone?
Old 01-06-2017, 04:15 PM

I went last year for my Sweet 16, and I loved it. It was full of instruction and help. The only problem was my brain was full by 3 and we went until 4 or 5! All the attendees were unanimous that it was very worthwhile. You will end up with lots of samples of techniques plus some other goodies. You get to try lots of techniques including traditional FMQ, ruler work, crouching feet, echo feet, etc. it was nice to try things to see if you really like them enough to purchase. If you do purchase things, there is a significant discount at the retreat. The price included lunch and dinner paid for by HQ, and the hotel gives you breakfast and transportation.

Ask me me if you have any other questions.

Pam
Old 01-06-2017, 05:04 PM
Power Poster

Thanks Pam. That was the kind of info I wanted.

I sent them an email because I didn't see the Sweet 16 as a retreat option but they answered that I could sign up for a LA retreat and specify that I have the sit-down. They would accommodate me easily. I am seriously considering going.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:37 PM

Do it! If you come in early or stay later, let me know. I live about 2-3 miles from the HQ facility.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by CanoePam View Post
Do it! If you come in early or stay later, let me know. I live about 2-3 miles from the HQ facility.
Since you're so close and didn't need to stay at the hotel was there a price reduction? I'm in Salt Lake.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:24 AM

The price they give you is for instruction, supplies, lunches, and dinners. The hotel is separate. I originally thought I wouldn't attend the dinners since I live so close, but the food was good as were the lunches. I even went to the fabric store they took a trip to one evening even though it is only a couple of miles from me.

And quiltsRfun, I will send you a PM. Always nice to meet locals.

Pam
Old 01-08-2017, 02:58 AM
Power Poster

I told DH about it and he is totally supportive so I am starting to save my money. The early retreat doesn't work for me because we are upgrading our database system but the one in September is definitely in the frame. Depending on when I get in, maybe we can hook up for dinner, Pam. I always love to meet new quilting sisters.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:15 AM

I am going to the Prostitcher retreat in Jan. because the complexity really scares me. Even taking husband so he learns it all too. The promised to show me how to load and tension. I have only heard good things about the retreats.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I told DH about it and he is totally supportive so I am starting to save my money. The early retreat doesn't work for me because we are upgrading our database system but the one in September is definitely in the frame. Depending on when I get in, maybe we can hook up for dinner, Pam. I always love to meet new quilting sisters.
Great! The Salt Lake City area really is worth an extra day, at least. And September is a lovely time. The mountains are generally just beginning to color up, and the salt flats are starting to cool down.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:21 AM

Be sure to check out the HQ Academy in June. All inclusive except flights. Lots of teachers and dedicated Sweet classrooms.