Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone hand-dyed purchased fabric that has already been dyed? >

Has anyone hand-dyed purchased fabric that has already been dyed?

Has anyone hand-dyed purchased fabric that has already been dyed?

Old 07-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pinkcastle View Post
ckcowl - thanks for the great information. I'll definitely check out the books you suggested. I'm starting to feel a little more confident about taking this on. I'm also glad to hear that is doesn't stain your washing machine. Do you use your washing machine to just wash out the dye? And do you add synthrapol in your final wash? Something I read about and wondered if it is necessary. Thanks!
sorry i didn't get back to answer your questions sooner---been quite a week
anyway--
i soak my fabrics in their dye solution for up to 24 hours- depending on what i have going on & how (rich) i want my colors-
then i wring them out over the dye bucket- take them to the sink & rinse in cold water --- then i take them to the washer & toss them in with detergent- sometime i do use Retayne (especially if it's a red- purple- black---color that tends to like to run) i only use synthropol if i am washing a handdyed fabric with other fabrics (& i'm worried it may run) generally if it is one someone else dyed or a batik---i already know mine aren't going to run ---and i don't use synthropol unless the fabric is being laundered with other fabrics---it keeps the fugitive dyes suspended in the water-so they won't get on other fabrics-
so is not necessary if you are just washing your newly dyed fabrics-
retayne is good to use though= read the instructions and do as instructed- you are wasting it if you don't use it the way it's supposed to be used-
very very seldom do i have a (home dyed) fabric run later.