Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
has anyone made gift bag out of christmas fabric? >

has anyone made gift bag out of christmas fabric?

has anyone made gift bag out of christmas fabric?

Old 10-16-2010, 05:07 AM

I'm going through my Christmas fabric stash...found some I don't like well enough (or are not good enough quality) to use in a real quilt project.

Was thinking maybe I'd make some gift bags...we all recycle the purchased (paper) gift bags.

Has anyone done this? Any ideas? Pictures? Do you think I should use stabilizer or lining?
Old 10-16-2010, 05:39 AM

I make them all the time. I even get them back so I can refill them. Lately though I've been making pillowcases instead to wrap gifts in and tie with a scrap strip of fabric. If the fabric is light, I might line it but that seems like a lot of work to me.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:46 AM

DS#3 and family live in CA so I sewed Christmas fabric bags for their gifts a few years ago to make the Christmas gift package I mailed them lighter in weight. The gifts looked so cute as I added fabric ribbons to them. Only problem is that they didn't save them as I asked. May in Jersey
Old 10-16-2010, 05:52 AM

I used some of my bad quality Christmas Fabric and wrapped empty boxes up to put outside next to my snowman for Christmas decoration, it was cute, and I think I'm going to make more this year, might even try the gift bags.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by oldhag
I make them all the time. I even get them back so I can refill them. Lately though I've been making pillowcases instead to wrap gifts in and tie with a scrap strip of fabric. If the fabric is light, I might line it but that seems like a lot of work to me.
Love this idea of pillowcases, especially for the younger set. Have used the gift bags in the past for other sewers especially. They use the fabrics!
Old 10-16-2010, 06:32 AM

I made drawstring bags, and we re-use them each year, if you want a gift next year you better remember to turn in your bags. :)
Old 10-16-2010, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

I thought about it but just didn't think it was worth my time. I'd rather be quilting. You might consider making pillow cases, wrap the pressent in it, so people can use them for something esle.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:44 AM

We use the Japanese method of furoshiki to wrap gifts. Nothing gets thrown away and I get to keep all the lovely fabrics.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:49 AM

My son went to Japan last summer for two weeks, he had to take a number of gifts so we got a book on furoshiki from the library. I hadn't thought of that for Christmas, but I do have some Christmas fabric that I don't like so much anymore. I may do that, although my family might like the bags more. I will have to give that some thought, thanks Marcia for the idea!
Old 10-16-2010, 07:08 AM

I give all my quilts away in bags. Susan Atkinson has a really cute and easy fold up tote bag. I make them for groceries too. I can finish 3 in a day.

Originally Posted by lauriejo
My son went to Japan last summer for two weeks, he had to take a number of gifts so we got a book on furoshiki from the library. I hadn't thought of that for Christmas, but I do have some Christmas fabric that I don't like so much anymore. I may do that, although my family might like the bags more. I will have to give that some thought, thanks Marcia for the idea!