Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone made a men's tie? >

Has anyone made a men's tie?

Has anyone made a men's tie?

Old 07-01-2011, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
You really need to look for denim like fabric. Real denim will be too thick for a tie. See if you can find some chambray shirt fabric that looks like denim.
-------------------------------
Go to a thrift shop and look for some denim dresses. This will look like denim, but is much thinner and I believe it will work nicely. Line it with poly about the same color, this you might have to buy new, or might find in the thrift store in the blouse department.

Some of the most expensive men's suit and tie makers use some wildly colored linings, so it has been done. Make up a label for it and put some sort of name on it.

Some time ago one of my sisters and I made some of our clothes and to keep "friends" from insisting we do the same for them, we had another friend make us some labels. They said "Original by Mattie Harris, designer for the STARS" and "Mattie Harris, Original, copy No.2 of 2" which drove our friends nuts. We solemnly told them that Mattie was a distant cousin of our Mom's and was retired but made a few things for us only!!!!!

Let DH have some fun with his new ties. I'll bet he will be the best dressed there. And good for him for keeping up with dressy traditions, so rarely do you see a real man dressed correctly.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:58 PM

I used to make them a lot, using cotton fabric. I made a couple from oriental fabric that looked great. My DH (when he used to wear ties) really liked them.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:32 PM

I have a friend who is a magician and I found some magic themed fabric and I made him a bow tie and cumberbund out of it. Turned out nice. I have a McCalls pattern that I used. Not really that hard!
Old 07-10-2011, 02:28 PM

Thank you everyone!

Well, I found some denim like material in my stash leftover from years ago when I made curtains for the boys playroom. There was enough to make a tie and a matching hat. I lined the hat with terrycloth. The hat turned out a lot better than the tie. I bought the thinnest, softest interfacing I could find at Joanne's. The tie was still "thick". DH had a little trouble tieing it. But, he wore it to work along with his hat.

I'm thinking next time just line the tie like Buzzy Bee did.

Appreciate everyone's input.