Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone made a quilt from the McCall's Heritage Stars pattern? >

Has anyone made a quilt from the McCall's Heritage Stars pattern?

Has anyone made a quilt from the McCall's Heritage Stars pattern?

Old 02-01-2015, 10:41 AM

I love that quilt. If it were mine I would keep making star blocks until I got to the size I needed to fit the bed.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Basketman View Post
Ok here is a learning question...because I am too inexperienced to know the answer. What if you made another set of blocks stretching lengthwise and cut them down the middle and put half on one side of the quilt and half on the other? Is this a no NO...and it is an unwritten rule that you make a quilt so that it fits without resorting to such actions? I get that this is "your quilt so do what pleases you" and you can make a quilt that evolves as it goes along, but what are the general rules..if any?
That idea works. I have a perfect top for the quilt on my bed (60x78), I then took one of the fabrics in it and made a 4 inch border, outside that border, I took the same blocks I had made the top out of and cut them in half. Sewed them end to end to make another border. Finished up with another border of another fabric in the main quilt. Itz beautiful. Quilting is an art form, you are the artist. Nothing is out of bounds. The principle behind quilting is like most other arts... learn your craft technically, then take it where YOU want it. Many of my quilting friends don't understand my quilts as they are being pieced but appreciate the end result. tim in san jose
Old 02-01-2015, 04:08 PM

It is so, so pretty!
Old 02-01-2015, 06:35 PM

Beautiful quilt. I would try to keep going.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by MsHeirloom View Post
Although a lot of work, I would always regret that I didn't make it big enough to fit the bed as it is supposed to. It is lovely!
I agree with MsHeirloom. You may regret that you did not make it large enough to cover the bed & that would be a shame because it's lovely & so much work. I would hate to see it folded up rather than it covering your bed.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by MsHeirloom View Post
Although a lot of work, I would always regret that I didn't make it big enough to fit the bed as it is supposed to. It is lovely!
Agree! Go for it!
Old 02-03-2015, 02:48 PM

I have added a row of blocks top and bottom to make a quilt rectangular instead of squarish. It is funny how the eye/mind deceives and accepts that it is correct, if that makes sense. I agree with the others, you will always regret it.