Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone made a rag quilt using cotton instead of flannel? >

Has anyone made a rag quilt using cotton instead of flannel?

Has anyone made a rag quilt using cotton instead of flannel?

Old 08-10-2015, 06:40 AM

A number of years ago I saw a rug made like this but it was 4 or 5 (I think) layers of fabric stitched to a canvas backing. The squares of fabric were stitched on like a QAYG side by side (close together) and then clipped. It was done in denim and yellow and was very pretty and I remember thinking how durable it would be. Always wanted to but never made one.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:37 AM

If you decide to do it, I'm with the standing not comfortable category, you can also use puff paint. Like they use to decorate t-shirts and stuff. Use according to instructions on back of rug and it really helps with making it non-skid!!
Old 08-10-2015, 07:44 AM

If you stitch on the diagonal it wil fray we make them all the time using three pieces of material, batting and batting, stitch one half inch apart and only cut the top two pieces of fabric, then wash and bind.

QUOTE=ManiacQuilter2;7280523]I have seen samples in quilt stores but the cotton won't fray like flannel.[/QUOTE]
Old 08-10-2015, 07:55 AM

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and advise. Squires, thanks so much for the tip. Never thought about cutting on the diagonal.....Duh!
Old 08-10-2015, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by gram2five View Post
I'm wanting to make a rug for under my kitchen sink and would like to make it like a rag quilt. Has anyone used cotton for the top and backing with a layer of batting in the middle? If so, how did it turn out and what advice would you give for doing this?
I have and it turned out great. Of course, it is used as a quilt and not a rug, but I made it a good 10 years ago and it has been washed multiple times. It has held up great, but did have some initial fading. I, for one, could recommend it.
Marcia in Crowley
Old 08-10-2015, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
I suppose you have cotton that you wish to use up, but I hear homespun works like flannel.
My very first quilt, which can be seen in my avatar is a rag quit made from homespun. My daughter has been using it exclusively for 6 years. It frayed beautifully and is still holding up. 😊

Donna
Old 08-10-2015, 05:43 PM

The pattern I purchased recommended using some type of cotton woven fabric such as homespun. This is what I used wit batting for a laptop quilt. I think it worked fine.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:50 PM

I made one in a workshop I took in Toronto by a method taught by Al Cote...look home up ...he is in the niagara region and the class was great and the Rugs are beautiful...
Old 08-10-2015, 09:00 PM

I used the non slip stuff on a throw rug I made from a large piece of upholstery fabric. It didn't eliminate slipping entirely but did keep it from going all over all the time. I had very slick floors at the time.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:07 AM

Co-worker makes all hers out of cotton. They can be pretty but I feel they are stiff and not cuddly at all. I don't know that it would ever become a beloved used quilt? I definately prefer flannel.