Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Has anyone made a

Blog Entries
    Seersucker is especially nice in quilts for bedridden or visually impaired recipients. The tactile quality of it (like corduroy, flannel, etc.) gives the quilt an extra "dimension" for these folks.

My MIL was very thrifty and made more quilts then I would care to count. She used all kinds of fabric, never had a problem. I have some that she made as far back as the 20s.Most of the quilts were given to the church for missions.

Thanks for all of your help. I think we will try using it, maybe with other cottons, if possible. Will keep all informed.
    Thanks again. Deb

I did and it came out fine.

I quilted a quilt for a lady once that was all seersucker. I was worried that it would stretch a lot, but it was fine. It was very soft and even though it stretched some, it turned out the same as regular cotton.

I have a quilt made by my grandmother in probably the 1970's that has been washed and used (and used and washed...) with no problems. She made a log cabin using regular cottons for two sides and seersucker for the other two and it's fine. As far as stretching/ironing/shrinking goes, I have a favorite shirt from Land's End or LL Bean that's seersucker. I wash and iron it with no problems and have never noticed any shrinking or other issues.

I've used it several times, even as backing and have had no complaints so far, it washed well. DEB

I have made many memory quilts using all kinds of fabrics from people's clothes. If it's stretchy just be sure to stabilize the fabric.

Blog Entries
    Years ago I bought some pretty multi colored pastel searsucker fabric to make a summer weight robe, thinking well it's searsucker so it must be cool NOTTTT! It it really warm and probably because it is tightly woven. Anyway I didn't find it hard to work with reallky, but to me it is really warm and if that's what you want or need in a quilt it will probably be the fabric you might want to use.

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    I have made pillow cases from seersucker. I washes up so soft

The only issue we had was if you iron it, the little dimples don't really come back.
    But it was soft and looked cute with the cotton. :)

I put some seersucker in a baby quilt and it was fine.

I love seersucker for clothes because it is so cool in the summer. But often seersucker comes in some wonderful stripes. I would use it in a quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by pstrwife
    Has anyone made a quilt using cotton fabric and seersucker fabric? Pros and cons please. Our little church group, Kreative Krazy Kuilters had scraps of all sizes donates to us. We (being true quilters) can't throw anything away & would like some advice if seersucker is hard to work with. Thank you all for all your help.
    most seersucker is cotton or poly-cotton. Behaves just like any other cotton

Quote Originally Posted by pstrwife
    Has anyone made a quilt using cotton fabric and seersucker fabric? Pros and cons please. Our little church group, Kreative Krazy Kuilters had scraps of all sizes donates to us. We (being true quilters) can't throw anything away & would like some advice if seersucker is hard to work with. Thank you all for all your help.
    I didn't have any "problems " as such, (made a QAYG for my GDD) but be careful with any pressing, it will go flat with a hot iron, ask me, as I know LOL!

I've made several baby quilts with it. Tied them, even backed them with the same material. They all loved them and have had no problems with them.

Junior Member myfrenchawakening's Avatar
    Yes my' Springtime in Paris' quilt has been sewn together with vintage seersucker. it's lovely fabric to use. You can see it on my blog or website! Best wishes, Therese

I have used seersucker in several quilts. I was very pleased with it. It washs well and wears well .For me I use it when I need a certain color. I find it does great in summer quilts too.

In answer to your question about seersucker for quilts.
    I think you could get away with it just don't iron the material or it will give on you. I sewed my 3 year old twin grandaughters some reversible summer dresses and I just happened to iron them when I had finished them well guess what the little darn dresses lost thier texture material. I didn't even notice until I my daughter got them and asked mom what happened here oh well. Hope it works for you. I know next time I won't iron them lol.

Blog Entries
    i would use the seersucker on th front...i like a smooth back to cuddle up to. i also use only seersucker on the quilt top (just as i would only use flannel pieces in a flannel quilt)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2