Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone tried the rulers that sharpen blades as they cut? >

Has anyone tried the rulers that sharpen blades as they cut?

Has anyone tried the rulers that sharpen blades as they cut?

Old 02-14-2011, 04:43 PM

With blades a dollar apiece at Harbor Frieght Tools it makes more sense just to replace the blades. BTW, the blades from HFT are made to cut carpet and seem to last a LOT longer than the blades from the fabric stores.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
BTW, the blades from HFT are made to cut carpet and seem to last a LOT longer than the blades from the fabric stores.
That sure hasn't been my experience. I had one peter out after about cutting a small quilt. The second was bad right out of the package and the 3rd is ok but I don't expect it to last long.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by gale
BTW, the blades from HFT are made to cut carpet and seem to last a LOT longer than the blades from the fabric stores.
That sure hasn't been my experience. I had one peter out after about cutting a small quilt. The second was bad right out of the package and the 3rd is ok but I don't expect it to last long.
I've been using the same one for over 6 months and have cut a LOT with it. Sorry your experience hasn't been as good.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:18 PM

I'm not the only one but I know that for most they seem to work ok. I have no idea what the difference is but since I have to drive an hour to get to a harbor freight, I'll just use coupons and buy the ones at the store.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:19 PM
Power Poster

the sharpening rulers work pretty darn good if you learn to use them the right way or you won't get what you pay for. I have the long one and use it for cutting yardage. It's easy to cut smooth in one long stroke. I don't use it for small cuts.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:17 PM

With blades a dollar apiece at Harbor Frieght Tools it makes more sense just to replace the blades. BTW, the blades from HFT are made to cut carpet and seem to last a LOT longer than the blades from the fabric stores.
We don't have a place like that here.The closest place is WalMart(1 hr away) and JoAnn's(2 hrs away). I either order online in sets of 12 or try to make them last until my next supply run to JoAnn's.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:09 PM

There have been quite a few posts on "The Cutting Edge Ruler" and I interacted the company and even sent them back my problem rulers to see for themselves. They were very nice to deal with and I do now have "good" ones.
*** I was told by the owner that only 4 out of 4000 sold had caused problems for the owners.
*** Please, please notify them on their website and let them know of your problems!!! They have asked that this happen so they can monitor them.

Thanks, Kit
Old 02-14-2011, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by samsews
We don't have a place like that here.The closest place is WalMart(1 hr away) and JoAnn's(2 hrs away). I either order online in sets of 12 or try to make them last until my next supply run to JoAnn's.
If you live in the states, you can easily order on-line from Harbor.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
There have been quite a few posts on "The Cutting Edge Ruler" and I interacted the company and even sent them back my problem rulers to see for themselves. They were very nice to deal with and I do now have "good" ones.
*** I was told by the owner that only 4 out of 4000 sold had caused problems for the owners.
*** Please, please notify them on their website and let them know of your problems!!! They have asked that this happen so they can monitor them.

Thanks, Kit
I'm sorry, I must have written my post wrong. I haven't bought one yet. I saw a commercial for one during a quilting show and I was going to wait and see if it really worked or if it was just a quilting trinket to add to the drawerfull of stuff I had fallen for. On the commercial it works,but then on the commercials the products always work, don't they?
Old 02-14-2011, 08:42 PM

Our LQS had the sharpening rulers 35% off for the Super Bowl weekend and since the 12" ruler I had was chipped at the corners this was a great time to replace and see how it worked. HUMMM! How to say this politely---I just cut a few small cuts and IMHO the blade got duller and duller and duller and ended in the trash. Maybe I didn't use it right but it certainly didn't sharpen the blade used. Sue