Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone used a 3D printer? >

Has anyone used a 3D printer?

Has anyone used a 3D printer?

Old 01-24-2020, 12:52 AM

Very Interesting thread here, I was vaguely aware of 3d printers but really didn't know much more than it was a way to make 3 dimensional items. In my extremely limited knowledge, I had no idea it was even something the "average Jane or Joe" could do. So as a result of this thread, off to Mr Google and did a search about 3D printing. !
Here is a link to a site I found that tells you basically what 3D printing is and how it has been used for a really long time in some areas of manufacturing and is headed to be a $41 billion in just 6 years. And so much more of how it is used today.
Thought those of you like me (kinda clueless) might find it interesting. Not something I am inclined to try myself at this point in my life but good to know it is out there in case my wants/needs change.
Murphy
https://3dprinting.com/what-is-3d-printing/

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-24-2020 at 05:06 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 01-24-2020, 05:43 AM

My son has a 3 D printer and made himself a "Lego" piece that was missing from his kit. I never thought about templates. I'm sure he could easily make like an orange peel template or any template that you didn't need any markings on.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:59 AM

My grandson started to do 3D printing in his college dorm room as a way to make a little extra money for tuition. It mushroomed into a business for which he bought a building. About six years later he sold the business for $80,000. That took care of his debt and he has some left, from which he could pay off his student loans. But he won't do that right now. He was making custom parts for fancy cars. He now works for someone else and has a little more time for his family.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
My grandson started to do 3D printing in his college dorm room as a way to make a little extra money for tuition. It mushroomed into a business for which he bought a building. About six years later he sold the business for $80,000. That took care of his debt and he has some left, from which he could pay off his student loans. But he won't do that right now. He was making custom parts for fancy cars. He now works for someone else and has a little more time for his family.
Smart Kid!
Gotta love the ingenuity !
Old 01-25-2020, 01:28 PM

These pin holders were made using a 3D printer:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/7025842...lery-1-2&col=1