Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone used this fabric & it bleed?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingbycourtney View Post
    my friend wants me to use this fabric for the backing of a t-shirt quilt that contains lots of whites on the top, i am scared to death of this red fabric bleeding, i have read reviews and they say it will bleed. Is there a way i can wash this fabric and make sure that i take care of the bleeding issue before i put it onto this quilt? Thanks

color: Red

• 100% cotton
    • machine wash cold on delicate cycle. Do not use chlorine bleach. Tumble dry on low, remove promptly
    • 108'' wide, sold in whole yard increments only. This fabric comes on a 15 yard bolt

108" wide fabric is suitable for backing quilts, tablecloths, bedding, or any project that requires a large piece of fabric.

http://www.joann.com/108-solid-fabric-asst-d-colors-/prd18929/
    use shout brand color catches i have used them on my off white with burgandy trim and burgandy valance they truly work i would put at least 5 or 6 to be on the safe side.you could wash the red fabric first that might help..i wish you the best of luck if all else fails tell your friend that you don't feel comfortable using the red,tell her why then let her choose if it bleeds it will be on her not you.
    Singer 110 , Singer 7422,Singer AH458923, Singer AD075758, Singer 5528 Singer AE234907, Universal H300795 Kenmore 158.16540, Necchi 3354, Dressmaker S2402, Signature 103-303340, BICOR VX1005 Singer 242

I would keep washing it in hot water until it stops bleeding - or at least until the bleeding is so minimal that it won't turn the t-shirts on the top pink.

I wouldn't bother with Retayne, if you can only wash in cool after you use it. A quilt needs to be able to stand up under the most adverse conditions imaginable and that includes the accidental washing in hot water.

Blog Entries
    I would wash it alone with color catcher's in hot hot water. I try to do this first for a couple of washes - then do a hot wash with retayne. I do not dry it in the dryer until the water comes out clear. Some reds never stop bleeding.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

I have 4.25 yrds of fabric and I only put in 1 shout color catcher...maybe tonight I better put in more then 1 huh...
    LIVE ~ LAUGH ~ LOVE

I pre-wash everything with Retayne before I use it. Then I don't have to worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    Wash it in hot water with retayne, then wash it again in hot water with a color catcher. If the color catcher comes out clean you will be OK with future washes. I've had to wash reds several times sometimes.
    If you wash a fabric that has been treated with Retayne in hot water once its been through the first complete treatment, you will remove the Retayne and it can/will start to bleed again if you use hot water. The manufacture of Retayne recommends all subsiquent washes must be cold water.

IMHO never trust red. Always prewash first no matter the source. Navy blue can be very persnickity too.

My question to the washing process....when you do this color bleeding washing process are you putting this in a washing machine, and going thru all the cycles, or doing this is a washtub in a utility sink, or how. When I am reading washing 3/4 times w/hot water to get the excess dye out I am just wondering..........

I agree with kristakz..............pre-wash in hot/warm with retayne, then run through with a colour catcher. I bought a Royal blue "quilt backing" made by Kona Cotton and We washed it 5X's and it still was bleeding. Each color catcher was almost darker then the fabric. Pretty scary when it will be near a off white border and mixed blocks of white/cream and other blue's. I am also giving it as a gift with a box of color catchers for the quilt.
    I ALWAYS pre-wash fabrics for I make something with it. And once again after 40 some years of sewing and quilting, I am glad I always do. Extra work, but I would of been sick if they would of washed it and it all turned BLUE.

Quote Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
    From what I've read, pre-wash it (alone!) in hot/warm water with retayne. That should set the dye, and it will be fine (in COLD water) for all future washes. Personally, I'd run it through a cold wash with a colour catcher to make sure the retayne did the job, after the retayne and before quilting it.
    "We can never have too much fabric" and "May the Fabric Fairy always keep your stash filled".

Robinlee

I have bought Joann's backing fabric twice and didn't use it either time after I bought it. It was of very poor quality and seemed very stretchy in all directions, even after I washed them in hot water. I was afraid they would be impossible to quilt without puckers on the back. I'm going to cut them up and use them in rag rugs.

If I'm using a red (and I'm a rank amateur), I just assume that it will bleed. I treat the fabric with Rit Dye Fixative. I've looked far and wide for the product in the local supermarkets, discount stores, fabric stores, you name it--I've looked, to no avail. I ended up going online and ordering it direct from Rit. I know it's a pain, but I would rather treat the fabric first. If I'm going to put that much work and effort into it, it will be treated so that it won't bleed! I've only done a couple of large quilts, and both of them involved reds and whites. The first fabric, I tested it -- turned a glass of hot water into what looked like a cherry soda! I'd rather be safe than sorry!

Jeanette Frantz

Blog Entries
    wash in vinger, add a 1/2 cup that should stop the bleeding. I do this and it works.

Blog Entries
    I just did a customer quilt using a wide back from joanns. She prewashed and dried it in case it bled. Caution: the original 108" fabric became 102" fabric after washing. Lost quite a few inches on the width also!
    Blessed Be
    Darlene

Name:  Photo12112128.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  208.9 KB
    Well everyone, I am on wash #7 now...its been treated with Retayne twice and now I am just washing it in cold until my color catchers come out perfectly white...I threw a scrap piece of white t-shirt in with it to see if the color would bleed on it and well, it came out just a tiny tint of pinkish on it soo I guess I will rack up my water bill and keep washing until it stops...uff I do believe this will be the last time I ever buy red. :/ Thank you all for all your help I could not have started and continued this process without you...
    I am soaking it in cold right now debating on putting some vinegar in the water to maybe help speed things up...here is a picture of all of my color catcher sheets...
    LIVE ~ LAUGH ~ LOVE

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    My question to the washing process....when you do this color bleeding washing process are you putting this in a washing machine, and going thru all the cycles, or doing this is a washtub in a utility sink, or how. When I am reading washing 3/4 times w/hot water to get the excess dye out I am just wondering..........

-Washing machine, putting it on regular wash with warm/hot, treating it with retayne, then all the future washes do cold water so as to not deactivate the retayne.
    LIVE ~ LAUGH ~ LOVE

I just added 1/2 cup of white vinegar and it is now soaking for a little while...I hope this helps...
    LIVE ~ LAUGH ~ LOVE

Quote Originally Posted by quiltjoey View Post
    I agree! It must be wash til it the rinse water come out clear to be safe from bleeding...

I wash it in hot water in the washing machine. If it is 3-4 yards, etc., I adjust the load size as needed. I wash the fabric by itself and run it through the whole cycle. If I have to do it more than once, that's what I do. If I just have a fat quarter or charms, layer cake sizes, I wash them individually til clear. Still use very hot water. Since the fabrics are cotton, they do shrink. I don't wash everything as I bring it home, just as I use it. I hate when I have worked hard on something, then just have a fabric bleed on the others. It can be a lot of trouble but, to me, well worth it. I don't use anything but hot water and detergent... Works for me...

Just warn him that the white T-shirts could be pink after a washing. If that doesn't scare him, than give him what he wants.

After wash #8 and 2 treatments of retayne, and one treatment of 1/2 cup vinegar(I got desparate and soaked it for 30min then ran it through the whole cycle) and 8 color catchers later I believe I am making progress, the scrap white t-shirt I put it with it on the last wash didn't turn light pink and the color catcher was such a tiny shade that I will need to look at it again tomorrow with fresh eyes to make sure that it was ok...I may just run it through one more wash tomorrow before I iron it and put it on my frame for quilting...
    LIVE ~ LAUGH ~ LOVE

I bought a similar red backing fabric from Joann's a couple of years ago to use on a red and white quilt. I washed it several times with retyne and color catchers and it still had color coming from it. I just got rid of it. I had to much time and work in the top to ruin it.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingByCourtney View Post
    After wash #8 and 2 treatments of retayne, and one treatment of 1/2 cup vinegar(I got desparate and soaked it for 30min then ran it through the whole cycle) and 8 color catchers later I believe I am making progress, the scrap white t-shirt I put it with it on the last wash didn't turn light pink and the color catcher was such a tiny shade that I will need to look at it again tomorrow with fresh eyes to make sure that it was ok...I may just run it through one more wash tomorrow before I iron it and put it on my frame for quilting...
    Retayne is usually very effective... are you using the 140 degree water?.. most hot water tanks are not set to that high of a temperature!

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    Retayne is usually very effective... are you using the 140 degree water?.. most hot water tanks are not set to that high of a temperature!
    Lori S - I'm not sure if it is 140 degree water, maybe I should soak it in my utility sink with 140 degree water? Is that what most people do? My washer is really old school and when its full of hot water its not enough I can not put my hands in it so I wonder how hot it gets? I will check that out tonight, thanks for pointing that out, maybe that's my problem!!
    LIVE ~ LAUGH ~ LOVE

I give up, its now on wash #12 and still leaves a tiny pink tint on my white scrap t-shirt fabric....I'm taking it back and if they wont take it back I am contacting the manufacture...I will never buy this again...

-that being said does anyone know a nice extra wide(108") fabric that is red and doesnt bleed after 4000 washes?
    LIVE ~ LAUGH ~ LOVE

Blog Entries

Setting the color red

As I was growing up we never knew of Retyne; so the old fashion way was to set red with vinegar and salt in water then wash afterwards to get the vinegar smell out. Of course we washed reds with reds and whites with whites and darks with darks afterward. I hope this is of some help.

Barbara

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingByCourtney View Post
    My friend wants me to use this fabric for the backing of a t-shirt quilt that contains lots of whites on the top, I am scared to death of this red fabric bleeding, I have read reviews and they say it will bleed. Is there a way I can wash this fabric and make sure that I take care of the bleeding issue before I put it onto this quilt? Thanks

Color: Red

• 100% Cotton
    • Machine wash cold on delicate cycle. Do not use chlorine bleach. Tumble dry on low, remove promptly
    • 108'' wide, sold in whole yard increments only. This fabric comes on a 15 yard bolt

108" wide fabric is suitable for backing quilts, tablecloths, bedding, or any project that requires a large piece of fabric.

http://www.joann.com/108-solid-fabric-asst-d-colors-/prd18929/

Well, after I have thought about it overnight and let my color catchers on wash #12 dry out.. I with fresh eyes have seen that they are basically white....so now...what to do, use the fabric and trust it with cold washes and put it on my quilt? or just take it back...or try to anyway?? It sucks because I have put so much work and stress into it and time and water $(i have to pay for my water)...I am now torn on whether it is safe to use this fabric or not...here is what I have put this fabric through...

*2 hot washes with Retayne treatments in both
    *10 cold washes with shout color catchers, 2 salt treatments, 2 vinegar treatments
    *2 dries
    The color catchers appear to be white and the scrap t-shirts that were white that I threw in there with the fabric appear to be still white as well....

Would you still use this fabric?? Yes? No?
    Thanks
    LIVE ~ LAUGH ~ LOVE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast