Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone used the Grid Glider >

Has anyone used the Grid Glider

Has anyone used the Grid Glider

Old 12-17-2020, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

Default Has anyone used the Grid Glider

I am wondering how well they work or is it something I will throw in a drawer and never use.
Old 12-17-2020, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

Is that the one by Sew Steady? I have seen a few on the machine tables at retreats. No complaints that I know of from the users. They aren't too expensive so worth a try.
Old 12-17-2020, 06:50 AM

I have one and I do use it especially when FMQ/ruler quilting. Biggest problem for me is my bobbin loads from the top and you have to move the glider out from under the needle to change. You can peel it back from right to left but I always worry it will catch on something and tear.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:25 AM

Out of curiosity, I looked up up the Sew Steady Grid Glider to see what it is. Before you purchase something like that, you may want to try out some of the very inexpensive things you can do yourself.

Deb Tucker has a good video showing how you can use painter's tape to make a 1/4" seam guide for accurate seams. I set up something similar on my machine using post-it notes, taped down. I really like that it it is a raised guide that I keep the edge of the fabric against, rather than a line to watch. Some people use things like mole foam (a blister protection product) to make a guide.

The Grid Glider also has lines to help with sewing seams 1/4" from a diagonal. You could put a piece of painter's tape on your machine bed and mark those lines yourself.

The Sew Steady Grid Glider looks snazzier than home-made guides, which will appeal to some people.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:49 AM

Agree with platyhiker. I bought something similar and could not get
the hang of it. I prefer to mark my lines. Try the painter's tape first
and see if you like this method.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

The ones I know that have them use them for machine quilting not piecing. Most everyone at sew group uses the Diagonal Seam Tape from Cluck Cluck Sew for 1/4" seams and sewing hsts. It is a darn good product. Smart for someone to label tape!
Old 12-17-2020, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

Thank You everyone for the quick replies. Sentimental Stitches has them on sale today. Maybe now is the time to try one. I am terrible at 1/4" seams but if they are not good for piecing maybe they are not a good idea. I just don't know.
Old 12-17-2020, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

I bought a 1/4" foot for my machine. It has a guard on the edge it to prevent the fabric from going any further than a 1/4". I am not sure what type of machine you have, or if they are available, but I love mine.

By the way, I LOVE mark twain. He was the bees knees.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 12-17-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:36 PM

Sounds good and I did buy. I didn't like the smell. I agree with the grid covering the bobbin cover--I like to watch how much thread I have left. I didn't see good instructions on aligning the lines with the needle position to get accuracy especially if I use the 1/4 inch foot. I had trouble getting a perfect line - not slightly crooked.

I rolled it up and put it in the container and decided I would try the Cluck Cluck Sew strips or just painter's tape.
Old 12-18-2020, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the input everyone. I listened to you and passed on it.